Group

Graeme

I haven't posted anything for a wee while now and I always promised David I would post a pic of this Group. 

RQMS George Myers KOSB & 20th Rifle Brigade

Queens South Africa Medal with Clasps 'Cape Colony', 'Paardeberg', 'Johannesburg' & 'South Africa 1901' (KOSB)

WWI War Medal (Rifle Brigade)

WWI Victory Medal (Rifle Brigade) with MID Oakleaf - Confirmed with MIC and London Gazette entry

Meritorious Service Medal (Rifle Brigade) - Confirmed with London Gazette entry

The MSM is 1 of only 2 awarded to the Rifle Brigade for Egypt.

post-11-1309812987_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

very nice 

• Like 2

• 7 years later...

Officially, the South Africa bars 1901 and 1902 belong on the King's medal, but are sometimes seen on the Queen's South Africa Medal, the King's medal being absent. Does anyone have any explanation for this?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fritz, I would need to look into the exact criteria but from memory you had to do 18 months service to get the Kings medal, so if the soldier served less than 18 months he would only be entitled to the Queens South Africa with the 1901 and 1902 bars added to his other bars if entitled. Some one else will probably be able to give more information as the shop is really busy just now.     

• Like 3

The bars appeared on the Queens medal for those servicemen who had completed 18 months service but had left the South African theatre before Jan 1st 1902 or had spent a period of time there after 1902.The  Kings S.A. Medal  was instituted in 1902 by King Edward VII for those who had served in South Africa after 1 January 1902 but had completed 18 months service in the conflict, not necessarily continuous, prior to the war's end on 1 June 1902. The King's Medal was always awarded in addition to the Queen's Medal, which continued to be awarded until the end of the war. However if you left the theatre before 1st jan 1902 you did not receive the Kings medal but you still got both of the bars even though you were not there continously in 1902.

• Like 6

• 1 year later...

Nice set, I assume they have been recently (court-) mounted - not the old style of mounting, could you post a photo of the reverse sides?

• Like 3

On 04/07/2011 at 21:56, Graeme said:

I haven't posted anything for a wee while now and I always promised David I would post a pic of this Group.

RQMS George Myers

KOSB & 20th Rifle Brigade

Queens South Africa Medal with Clasps 'Cape Colony', 'Paardeberg', 'Johannesburg' & 'South Africa 1901' (KOSB)

WWI War Medal (Rifle Brigade)

WWI Victory Medal (Rifle Brigade) with MID Oakleaf - Confirmed with MIC and London Gazette entry

Meritorious Service Medal (Rifle Brigade) - Confirmed with London Gazette entry

The MSM is 1 of only 2 awarded to the Rifle Brigade for Egypt.

post-11-1309812987_thumb.jpg

Wow my rifle brigade msm also Egypt will dig out the paper work and confirm

• Like 4

Very good, however, the ribbons and the style of mounting look very new.

• Like 2

Yes new ribbons ,I still have a lot of medals with there old ribbons but it’s just I don’t give the ribbons much thought.

its the medals them selves I concentrate on plus the research.

I suppose it’s just a mater of individual taste.

also I don’t think my msm is for Egypt I think it’s another W H Steele

• Like 3

Ribbons are important and enhance the medal in every way. Otherwise we just have a plain coin like object.

• Like 2