NVA-DDR Greycoat

leon21

Bought this greycoat back in 2006 it was'nt what I thought at the time. But I've recently discovered that it is a

greycoat belonging to the National Volksarmee/DDR. They were formed in 1956 and lasted till 1989 when the

Berlin wall was broken down. It was another 11 months before the reunification of Germany. The Bundeswehr

now found itself absorbing the former NVA including its sizeable armoury. The NVA was based on two tank and

four motorised rifle divisions in 1956. This greycoat has the tabs for infantry. Any idea of value if any??

It is stamped marked on the liner of the inside pocket, NVA C/2 1806 it also has other stamp marks.

post-3823-1308602552_thumb.jpg

post-3823-1308602704_thumb.jpg

post-3823-1308602858_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Leon,

Personally I like NVA items but they are cheap common items on the surplus market these days, people don't really 'collect' NVA much.

Early NVA items were WWII German surplus or used the same equipment to make new items, so up till the mid 50s/early 60s NVA gear was very similar to WWII Wehrmacht in items like helmets. By the 1950s the NVA was issued their own items that were more unique, rain pattern camo was begun in the 60s and the field grey dress uniform for regular use.

The trench coats are often picked up 'thinking' they are Wehrmacht, but really nothing of the sort, though they can pass as them on the slide with correct accessories. The coat is not worth much though, surplus sellers have them at prices ranging from £20 - £100 depending on how much they want to rip someone off but I would say £30-50 for the coat.

• Like 3

Thanks for the info Greg..........Bought it from a charity shop in Lincoln, cost me a fiver.

I've worn it a couple of times on a cold winter's nite when taking the dog for a walk,

it's one of the warm'est coats i've ever worn. ;)

• Like 2

I had the NVA "rain drop" pattern winter padded combat jacket back in the late 80s/early 90s. It was certainly the warmest jacket I ever had. A couple of my friends were so impressed they bought one too. Cheap as chips back then.

No we didn't wear them together to create a WP invasion! :shok0002:

• Like 3

You should get one of the east german ushankas to go with your coat then you'll look like one of the guards from the berlin wall lol please tell me your dog is a german shepherd too then that'll look cool :D

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Nice looking jacket.The only thing i have left of my NVA collection is my helmet with taindrop pattern cover.

The main problem you have with NVA stuff is that a lot of the stuff,uniforms etc were put together AFTER the wall came down,so it is worth doing a bit of research before you leap in.NVA swords are the most faked thing but very easy to spot,if you know your stuff.

David F

• Like 3

• 7 years later...

Greatcoat
This is the earlier pattern coat with dark green collar before uniform changes in 1973 and 1985. The later greatcoats had a collar in the same material as the basic cloth of the coat. The tunic also had a closed collar at that time. The NVA existed till midnight 2. October 1990, when the flag was lowered for the last time.

Inside the collar is a label with g. 48, that is the size, which is about medium, the other number you stated is a manufacturer code, of which there were very few standard, state manufactured, no private firms. All caps were manufactured by V.E.B. Perfect, Berlin.

• Like 3