Real or Repro?

Dave

:o

Didn't know where to put this so will try here.

Due to the high prices and low availability of original militaria and that reproductions are now so good, is it better to buy honest repro or wait for original?

I'd be interested in people's opinions! :)

Dave :D

Years ago it was like swearing when mentioning the R word but that was a long time ago.We decided to bite the bullet a few years ago and start to offer replica items too.

We mainly deal in high end items such as knights crosses etc.. things you are unlikely to turn up and they are excellent for filling gaps.One of the attractions of Third Reich militaria is its beautiful design.So people still want to get the famous items which are no longer available unless you only want two or three items in your collection or you happen to be a millionaire.

So I now think repros are OK as long as they are sold as such and not to deceive.I have several knights crosses in my collection and they go nicely with the original items.Here is my Sepp Dietrich uniform, only the Iron cross is original eventually I will get original belt etc.. but a genuine Sepp uniform I will never get so it fills a gap in the collection.

Strangely enough the old addage about handling original items also works in reverse if you handle a lot of replica items its also very useful for detecting the fakes.

sepp.jpg

This was what I thought. The high quality of modern (honest) repro makes them collectors items for the majority of us who couldn't possibly afford the real thing.

It's not only TR but this is affecting Victorian and other periods too.

The down side is there are certainly a lot more fakes because the fakers have the items to make them look good.

Incidentally the growth of good quality repro was pushed by Living History groups particularly in the US (!!!) <_<

Dave :):)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't agree.

Whilst I am sure repro's have there place somewhere it is not in my collection.

I have a number of Victorian medals that were once parts of groups. One school of thought would be to pair it with a Repro to give an impression of what his complete group would like like. I am afraid I do not subscribe to that school.

It HAS to be the original.

As you say repros and fakers are becoming so good these days. I have even seen people offer to have the correct details engraved on the rim of the medal for you.

Whilst you know you have a repro what happens in the future when a more unscrupulous person gets a hold of it. Will the whole group be passed of as genuine?

It is storing up trouble for the future and may just be another nail in the coffin of collecting.

I know what you mean and I agree with what your saying G, but really I think its all down to personal choice and what you happen to be collecting at that moment.I collect panzer items and to be honest could not afford to pay £2-£3 grand per tunic , even if I could I probably wouldn't.So my collection is complete and its just a case of upgrading it.

If however I was just collecting say Panzer badges of all the different makers then I wouldn't have any copies in my collection, its just personal taste.I have allot of model tanks in my collection which are just technically replicas of tanks wish I could have the real thing but I can't so I don't see the problem of having a replica Panzer beret sitting next to a replica Panzer IV.

There's nothing anybody can do about the replicas. TR items have been made since the late 40's and there is more and more of it coming on the market because of demand.All you can do is make sure its well separated from the real stuff, know your subject and make sure you buy your items from some one reputable who will guarantee their items.

Bayonet collecting certainly has its replicas... let me be clear.... in the case of REPLICAS... I have no issue if the item is clearly stamped and marked REPLICA somewhere. I have a Model 1862 US Light Cavalry Sabre in the USA this way made in India and marked on the blade where otherwise the AMES Sword Company mark would go. These items, produced for living history groups and those who need a cheaper alternative to round out a display I am fine with.

Items that are made specifically to deceive and those who pass such items off as original.. meaning all FAKE items I have serious issue with. These should be ban outright as they destroy the collecting community, just look at the issues with German badges. (I will concede the issue with modern badges struck on original equipment, these are not fakes but then Replicas and should be thus marked).

I feel that Greg has a point. Why can't repro manufacturers mark their items in some way? This could be done so that it would not be easily seen but noticed on inspection.

Two resonal examples:

I bought a repro k98 sling some years ago to put on a de-act. It had the firm's web address stampted on the inside. The same dealer had told me in the past that he was sick of seeing the repro German WW2 camo jackets he sold turning up after ageing as genuine items at traders stands in shows. I believe they put them in an old tumble dryer with some dirt and stones to achieve an aged effect.

I also had an excellent repro Heer M44 jacket that had the correct colour brown/grey cloth and good insignia. It was fully stampted inside but the date was "46" and the dealer in the US had added his company stamp.

I recently saw on a website that a dealer was offering "aged" Germa medals and badges. I can't see a legitimate use for these, surely people would want them "as issued". They are a good start if you want to decieve. <_<

Collecting has been ruined by fakers and con artists who knowingly decieve. It's a bit like the "War on Drugs",though, it's gone on too long.

Dave. B)

• 4 weeks later...

On the really high end items,such as copies of the Knights cross or the Victoria cross,then to put these on a uniform to complete an outfit then i would agree,as long as it is stamped as being such.

Most people cannot afford to drop 6 or 7 thousand on a medal.

I know that some of the modern copies of British medals are stamped copy on them,but as always with expensive items,not just militaria,people will always be out to make a fast buck

Hancocks are now doing limited edition copies of the VC. There will only be 1 made for every VC issued (about 1,300 or so). Each one is numbered on the back. Cost about £350.

When it comes down to it I don't want a copy medal in my collection. Doesn't matter how high end it is. I know I can't afford to collect VC Groups so why should I have a copy group.

£350 sounds quite allot for a copy medal :o are they making them out of Russian cannons :huh:

I have seen them and the quality is quite superb. That and hancocks do make the originals so they are using the same techniques just different materials.

Still wouldn't have one although I can imagine that they may become collectable in their own right and possibly suffer from copies themselves.

I see ,I didn't realise they made the originals , that would make a difference :)

Repros are perfectly acceptable to plug gaps,especially for display purposes.

I have a decent collection of Third Reich crosses but it is highly unlikely that i will ever possess a Knight's Cross.So i have a high end repro purchased from Kenny his good self.

Until such time as my inevitable lottery win occurs then a repro will have to do. :D

That's true Steve , After inheriting my Uncles items I'm quite tempted to build up a Cameronians uniform , the chances of finding a 6th Batt. Sgt.s Cameronians uniform is slim to say the least ,If I did find one it would probably be his !

So I may have to go down the line of either trying to find the insignia and adding to a BD which in itself is a tall order, finding any decent Scottish cloth these days is impossible or just getting replica items ,if they even make them.But it will give me a representation to go with Erics Panzer uniform and Possibly a future project of a WW1 RSF uniform with replica VC.

• 2 years later...

do you think these are for the repros market or just for the fake market? lol

post-564-1299878201_thumb.jpg

I'm sure I have seen some of these on the auction sites going for big money :D

i came across an american site a while ago, the owner was a retired col or something.

some of the items were unbelieveable, hitlers silverware etc.

all a bit fruity i think, wont mention names but the money this guy was asking for wasn't a joke.

• 2 weeks later...

Lackie,i know the site you are talking about.Lets just say that most,if not all his stuff are fakes.The amount of people who have been conned out of money by the guy is shocking.

People really need to do a bit of research into what they are collecting beore they drop serious money on an item.The Third Reich stuff is heavily faked.Some of it is starting to look good.

I was offered an original Knights Cross a couple of years ago belonging to a Major with all the paperwork as well. The price at the time was £1500, I didn't buy it as the wife would have gone ballistic, but I wish I had now seeing how much they've gone up in price.........( I now have a repro instead ) :angry:

I told the ex everything cost 20% of what it actually cost.

i have a note book in which i put all my items, date bought, from whom and cost

the wife once had a look in it for ideas for a present. now she looks at my collection of junk in a altogether different light.

that is after the fire when out. :P