Rescued from the bin

david f

My brother has been serving in Cyprus for the past 8 months as part of the UN.

When he arrived he was going through his office when he came across a GSM with Cyprus bar.When he informed his comanding officer of the find he was told to bin it!

Knowing of my interest in medals my brother decided to keep the medal and bring it home for me.

The medal has obviously been worn with pride as the ribbon is very faded on the front .It is 2 purple striped with a green stripe in the middle.

The best thing is that it was awarded to 8255 Ph.Theodorou AFS,the Army fire servicxe.It was awarded to a local who was serving with the army.

I'll try and get pictures uo when i have more time,probably later on in the week

David F

as promised here are the pictures.

front

2ztdk55.jpg

back

23r7cki.jpg

i tried to get a picture of the naming but it didn't work out well enough.

It is named to 8255 A.F.S PH.THEODOROU.

It amazed me that it was to be thrown out.I wonder just how many medals have been thrown out and just how much history has been consined to the scrap heap.

That's crazy they would throw that out, thank god your brother found it, makes it quite interesting too it's awarded to a local, bet he wonders where his medal is :kopkrab:

• 10 months later...

Yeah, Who'd think of throwing a medal away.

• 3 months later...

After trying to see if it could be traced back to the family we hit a dead end pretty quickly. The surname is pretty common in Cyprus,but what it has done is have me looking at Cyprus medals and wondering if it would be worth while branching into them.

I have some nice paper items that were brought back that would make a nice display some day.