British Rucksack

Kommando

hi folks,

i recently got a rucksack off ebay that was labelled ' WW2 Commando/Mountain Rucksack 1943'. it is an absolute Cracker & a great deal for £22!!!!! but! having looked at it compared to other p42 type rucksacks i noticed some differences to mine which i was looking to clear up if you could help? 1st off, if you look at the top lid in mine youll see there are no straps covering the lid (usually there are two) & secondly i believe that the inside is coated in some kid of rubber type material as waterproof?? which mine doesnt have. but apart from this it has every other detail. the shoulder/back straps are not the original they were made from vickers machine gun straps im told. perhaps its an early model of the rucksack or just been modified/customised..or this is just the way some were???

ive collected this not as a ww2 piece, but as a part of my 'SAS in Oman' in the 70s collection so if for some reason it turns out to be post-war then thats fine as they used these kinds of rucksacks well up into the 70s. its definately not a reproduction or anything like that, by far! anyways here is the rucksack & any help on this would be great!!!!!! cheers!!!

c4-1.jpg

c3-1.jpg

c2.jpg

C1-1.jpg

Hi Brandon, looks post war to me ,wartime ones are usually dated.

Hi Brandon, looks post war to me ,wartime ones are usually dated.

cheers kenny,

yeah thats what i was starting think myself. but as i say for what i need it for a post war one is fine, if i were going down the ww2 british airsoft route then it might be a problem, albiet not really an enormous one. would it be 50s or 60s do you think??? below is an SAS guy in Borneo in the 60s with either the original or post war one, which is the look im going for. cheers.

Borneo6066-kb.jpg

I think possibly 60's ,the 50's ones would be more similar to the WW2 type.

I just showed one of my British collectors the pictures here and he recons the bag is actually postwar civilian, but still a good piece for reenactment.

does it have british marks?

I have seen similar packs on sale in the states 10-15 years ago and marked as Finland or Sweden service packs... cannot remember which.

No, it has nothing on it in terms of marks or stamps. like i say its not collected as a ww2 piece, if it were i'd be worried! lol! but whether its post war sweedish, british or finnish is ok for what i want it for.

cheers.