kenny andrew

My Three Uncles, Victoria Cross Winner, Cameronian and Panzer Soldier

Probably why the Army went for smaller headgear post WW2. The ToS became much smaller and most units went to small berets worn tight and pulled to the right.

• Like 1

Hi Kenny, sorry it took me a while to getting around to this, anyway went and got a few pics of Centenary Park for you,a very nicely kept cemetary,the Australians do a good job of this sort of thing. 

a.jpg

• Like 1

behind the cross is a set of service mens memorials which are set behind two pines , a picture of the plaque explaining the pines is next....

c.jpg

• Like 1

and a rather understated memorial, i would have left some flowers but nowhere to leave them,perhaps a poppy on 11/11..

f.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for taking the time to search him out Bruce, I will pass that picture onto my relatives, please put a poppy there for me too. 

• Like 3

A customer was in the shop last week who is building a museum in Holland featuring the Cameronians. I told him about my uncle and showed him the picture from the Daily Record of him sitting in the Landing Craft. When I showed it to him, he said I have that picture in a book. He later brought in the book "Cinderella Operation" by Gerald Rawling and sure enough there was the picture of my uncle. I managed to get hold of a second hand copy today and here are the scans of the picture, you can see the picture in the book is slightly different too ,must have been taken a few seconds later. Quite a thing to find. 

a3.jpg

a2.jpg

a1.jpg

• Like 3

Footage of British and Canadian troops advancing on Tilburg and conducting the amphibious invasion of Walcheren Island in the Netherlands 1944.  Walcheren island was the last enemy stronghold in the Scheldt estuary, and this action allowed the Allies ocean access to the recently captured city of Antwerp. 

• Like 3

Some new pictures of my uncle Tom

tomnewpic.jpg

Studio postcard portrait

4635230713_477x366.jpg

Caldwell VC (left) with William Angus VC and Donald Cameron VC

large_carluke.jpg

Carluke has the distinction of being home to three gallant recipients of the Victoria Cross - William Angus; Thomas Caldwell; and Donald Cameron. Among its other sons of note is Major General William Roy, the father of Ordnance Survey, born in Carluke in 1726 to whom a monument in the form of a “Trig” point stands in Miltonhead Road close to his place of birth.

tommedals.jpg

Thomas Caldwell's medals on display at the Royal Highlanders Museum, Glasgow, Scotland.

(Picture - Thomas Stewart)

da1ae87211ffdcea41745c67835ff99c.jpg

1960's

• Like 4

Thanks to Buster for finding Toms medal card, pity the VC is not mentioned, it seems to be in another section which we can't access at the moment.   

Screenshot_20190610-231712_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e13f746c748c03a19c1f53d80c1edfbc.jpg

Screenshot_20190610-235013_Photos.thumb.jpg.c38a44de1351a568131d044992a9f1ee.jpg

• Like 3