My Three Uncles, Victoria Cross Winner, Cameronian and Panzer Soldier

Kenny Andrew

I am going to dedicate this thread to my three Uncles who were responsible for getting me interested in military history all three of them held the rank of Sgt. Two in the British Army and one in the German Army. Sadly my Aunt passed away just before Christmas and I am told I have inherited my Uncles medals and some wartime photos I hope to get them next week. In the past I had no wartime photos of him only pictures of his pay book and C in C certificate from Monty. The news I am getting his medals has given me incentive to do this . I'll post the information about my Uncle Thomas first as he is the most famous and I have the least information on him. 

• Like 5

Thomas Caldwell VC (February 10, 1894- June 6, 1969) was a Scottish recipient of the Victoria Cross, the highest and most prestigious award for gallantry in the face of the enemy that can be awarded to British and Commonwealth forces. He was 24 years old, and a sergeant in the 12th Battalion, The Royal Scots Fusiliers, British Army during the First World War when the following deed took place for which he was awarded the VC.

On 31 October 1918 near Oudenaarde, Belgium, Sergeant Caldwell was in command of a Lewis gun section engaged in clearing a farmhouse, and when his section came under intense fire at close range, the sergeant rushed towards the farm, captured the enemy position single-handed and took 18 prisoners. This gallant and determined exploit removed a serious obstacle from the line of advance and led to the capture by the section of about 70 prisoners, eight machine-guns and one trench mortar. He later achieved the rank of company sergeant-major. His Victoria Cross is displayed at the Museum of The Royal Highland Fusiliers (Glasgow, Scotland).

tom.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks G, that's him on the right hand side. Yes he was a very brave man. His medal is at the RHF museum, my Grandmother and Aunt presented the medal to the Museum before I was born. The Lord Provost had lunch with them and it was a very special day. Pity I wasn't around then the V.C. isn't even on display apparently its kept in a safe the one on display is only a copy. I did ask my Mother if we should make inquiries , but she said don't even go there Kenneth. Here is a painting of my Uncle by the artist Duncan Brown ,he was kind enough to visit us in the shop when he heard I was one of the few relatives still living in Scotland. He has painted all 14 winners of the V.C. from Lanarkshire.

post-3-1204842951.jpg

• Like 3

Very few of the VC's on display at Regimental Museum's are the real one's. You tend to find that these Museums are run on a shoestring and the Insurance Premiums to show a real VC would be too excessive for them. A very interesting painting. I don't think I have seen any like that before. When did he do it? Ignore your Mum. Contact them and see if they will let you hold the original in your hand.

• Like 3

I think he did the paintings a few years ago I have a newspaper cutting in the shop which goes into all the details I'll try my best to remember to bring it home tomorrow and scan the details here. No my mother had no problems about me going to see it, I think she was concerned I would try to get it back, I think if I held it in my hand I might not want to let it go. Here is some more information and a picture of him when he was older.

post-3-1203113924.jpg

• Like 2

If you can get a copy of an Australian Who' Who from the 60's then you may find some details on him. He possibly held a senior position with the Electricity Authority over there.

• Like 3

that's a good idea, I think someone did mention he's in who's who, however finding a copy of an Australian version from the 60's might be a tall order but you never know. Here's the newspaper clipping it's more about a monument they were going to build rather than the artist. I thought it was only a couple of years ago but I see the date is 2000 eight years ago, how time flies by.

post-3-1203241014.jpg

• Like 2

Kenny, as I've said before, your family war records could make a couple of good books. 

Dave.

• Like 3

Cheers Dave, here's the monument , my Uncle is mentioned on the top left. He also has a National Park in Australia named after him and a street in Carluke.

post-3-1203378132.jpg

• Like 2

Yes Kenny, here's to future projects 

• Like 3

It was built about 8 years ago the same time as the pictures were painted, in fact the artist Duncan Brown played the pipes as it was unveiled. Duncan actually invited me to attend as he was one of the organisers. Unfortunately I couldn't make it that day, but Duncan later told me how it was a great day and the highlight for him was when he saw an elderly man making his way up the hill to the monument. The elderly man was none other than Flight Lieutenant William Reid V.C. and when he made his way to the monument Duncan was very impressed to see he was actually wearing his Victoria Cross! Sadly Bill passed away shortly after this.

• Like 2

Here is more about William Reid. The death has been announced, on the 28th November 2001, of Flight Lieutenant William Reid, 61 Squadron, RAFVR, at his home at Crieff, Perthshire. He was later buried in Crieff Cemetery.

[ London Gazette, 14 December 1943 ] Raid on Düsseldorf, Germany, 3 November 1943, A / Flight Lieutenant William Reid, 61 Squadron, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. On the night of 3rd November 1943, Flight Lieutenant Reid was pilot and captain of a Lancaster aircraft detailed to attack Düsseldorf. Shortly after crossing the Dutch coast, the pilot's windscreen was shattered by fire from a Messerschmitt 110. Owing to a failure in the heating circuit, the rear gunner's hands were too cold for him to open fire immediately or to operate his microphone and so give warning of danger: but after a brief delay he managed to return the Messerschmitt's fire and it was driven off.

During the fight with the Messerschmitt, Flight Lieutenant Reid was wounded in the head, shoulders and hands. The elevator trimming tabs of the aircraft were damaged and it became difficult to control. The rear turret, too, was badly damaged and the communications system and compasses were put out of action. Flight Lieutenant Reid ascertained that his crew were unscathed and, saying nothing about his own injuries, he continued his mission. Soon afterwards, the Lancaster was attacked by a Focke Wulf 190. This time, the enemy's fire raked the bomber from stem to stern. The rear gunner replied with his only serviceable gun but the state of his turret made accurate aiming impossible. The navigator was killed and the wireless operator fatally injured. The mid-upper turret was hit and the oxygen system put out of action. Flight Lieutenant Reid was again wounded and the flight engineer, though hit in the forearm, supplied him with oxygen from a portable supply.

Flight Lieutenant Reid refused to be turned from his objective and Düsseldorf was reached some 50 minutes later. He had memorised his course to the target and had continued in such a normal manner that the bomb-aimer, who was cut off by the failure of the communications system, knew nothing of his captain's injuries or of the casualties to his comrades. Photographs show that, when the bombs were released, the aircraft was right over the centre of the target. Steering by the pole star and the moon, Flight Lieutenant Reid then set course for home. He was growing weak from loss of blood. The emergency oxygen supply had given out. With the windscreen shattered, the cold was intense. He lapsed into semi-consciousness. The flight engineer, with some help from the bomb-aimer, kept the Lancaster in the air despite heavy anti-aircraft fire over the Dutch coast.

The North Sea crossing was accomplished. An airfield was sighted. The captain revived, resumed control and made ready to land. Ground mist partially obscured the runway lights. The captain was also much bothered by blood from his head wound getting into his eyes. But he made a safe landing although one leg of the damaged undercarriage collapsed when the load came on. Wounded in two attacks, without oxygen, suffering severely from cold, his navigator dead, his wireless operator fatally wounded, his aircraft crippled and defenceless, Flight Lieutenant Reid showed superb courage and leadership in penetrating a further 200 miles into enemy territory to attack one of the most strongly-defended targets in Germany, every additional mile increasing the hazards of the long and perilous journey home. His tenacity and devotion to duty were beyond praise.

William Reid was invested with his Victoria Cross by King George VI at Buckingham Palace on the 11th June 1944. After recovering from his injuries, William Reid returned to active duty and because of his skill and determination was rewarded with a posting to No. 617 ( Dambuster ) Squadron, then led by Wing Commander Leonard Cheshire, who would later also win the VC to add to his DSO and DSC. 

Medal entitlement of Flight Lieutenant William Reid - 61 Squadron, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.  Victoria Cross, 1939 - 45 Star, Air Crew Europe Star,  War Medal  1939-45,  Queen Elizabeth II Coronation Medal 1953,  Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubiliee Medal 1977.

4cf831767e03ebfdc53a41e25bf851f1.jpg

4634617889_553x380.jpg

Update 6.8.18 His actual medals

An extraordinary tale of courage lies behind a medal which yesterday sold for an equally remarkable price. A Victoria Cross was auctioned for £335,000, shattering the British record for a VC of £230,000 set in 2004. It was awarded to 21-year-old Bill Reid in 1943 for his bravery during a bombing raid over Germany.

article-1229285-0747B624000005DC-120_468x278.jpg

• Like 2

Here is my second uncle, Sgt Eric Hager. Myself and Dave are currently putting a book together about his exploits on the Eastern front so I will just briefly summarise what he got up to. If anybody has any further information on Eric or my two other uncles who will feature in our next book then they will be fully credited. This picture is slightly water damaged but we have another better example, unfortunately I have not had a chance to scan it yet. Eric served in Panzer Regiment 39 part of 17 Panzer Division on the Eastern Front until his capture by the Russians in 1945.

post-3-1204412802.jpg

• Like 2

So not to duplicate any information about my uncle Eric I will post further information in The Panzer Forum in the section New Treasure Bunker Book

• Like 2

Here is a copy of my uncles medal index card which one of our customers kindly sourced for us, interesting as it has his previous regiment and also his complete regimental numbers which we did not have previously.

Medal listing of Caldwell, Thomas Rank: Serjeant Regiment: 12th Battalion. Royal Scots Fusiliers (Carluke)

Date of Act Of Bravery: 31 October 1918 Campaign: 1914-1918 War Locale: Audenarde Medal card of Caldwell, Thomas Corps Regiment No 569 Rank Corporal Lancashire Fusiliers Royal Scots Fusiliers 295536 Serjeant

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 6 JANUARY, 1919

Page .307 No. 295536 Sjt Thomas Caldwell, 12th Bn, R. Sc. Fus. (Carluke). For most conspicuous bravery and initiative in attack near Audenarde on the 31st October, 1918, when in command of a Lewis gun section engaged in clearing a farmhouse. When his section came under intense fire at close range from another farm, Sgt. Caldwell rushed towards the farm, and, in spite of very heavy fire, reached the enemy position, which he captured single-handed, together with 18 prisoners.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I have just picked up a few items belonging to my Uncle Jack I'll post them here ,there is more stuff too which I hope to get in a couple of weeks time. The first item is something I already had, which is his pay book and C in C certificate from Field Marshall Montgomery.

My Uncle Jack was probably the Uncle most responsible for getting me interested in WW2. When I was still at school my Uncle Jack would come over and set up soldiers with me, playing soldiers with my uncle Jack involved more than setting up a few Air-fix soldiers.The whole Dining room table was cleared and positions were set up.Tanks were dug in ,I was rather disappointed tanks could not move and fire, no they had to sit in a certain position with turrets facing in a certain direction, he should know he was there. These were probably the best lessons I ever received, I wish I had asked him a million more questions but I was too young at the time.

My Aunt was very surprised he enjoyed our "battles" as he never talked about the war. It was around this time I was given my first military items which included my Fathers RAF uniform and my Uncle Jacks uniforms including his Cameronian and Majors ROAC uniform. I later swapped these items for a  Panzer tunic,  I had just left school, unbelievable, but a bit uncanny as at this point I had no idea I also had an uncle in the 17th Pz Div. This was also my first German item, however when I got it home, I noticed the reverse of the collar patches were actually made from a Kelloggs cornflakes packet, it was a replica and I had swapped in for my relatives uniforms. The following week I went back up "The Barras"  where my uniforms were still hanging on the stall, I asked the stall holder if I could swap them back, but he told me to go away because he did not not like cheeky boys. I still hope to this day someone will bring them back in to the shop. Here's is my Uncles Pay-book.

cccert.jpg

• Like 2

Here is a book which belonged to my uncle. It covers the history of the 52nd Lowland Division of which he was part. I have scanned the cover separately as it shows all the units involved in the Division and where they fought, including the training for Arnheim in 1944 which he luckily missed as his deployment  was canceled and the battle by that point was not going well. My uncle joined the Cameronians as a Private and left as a Lt. he then joined the RAOC as a Captain and ended up a Major. 

post-3-1206956273 (1).jpg

• Like 2

We had an old Cameronian in the shop a couple of months ago and he told me that after the British troops had been evacuated from Dunkirk a second BEF was landed in France of which the Cameronians were part of. Does anybody know anything about this?

• Like 2

The '2nd BEF' was commanded by Lord Alanbrook or General Alan Brook as he was then. It was partly already there before Dunkirk and seemed to be formed around parts of the 1st Armoured Division. This episode led to the sacrifice of the 51st Highland Division at St Nazaire (off the top of my head). What was left was eventually evacuated by mid June 1940. Is there anything specific you want to know?

• Like 3

kenny, great articles, in one of life great twists of fate, i have just emigrated to Adelaide.If i can help with any research i will try my best. I am on atraining course at the moment and unfortunately i will be returning to the UK as my Father died last week, however when i come back i will help where i can, best wishes Bruce

• Like 3

Thanks Bruce, good to hear from you, yes that's uncanny Adelaide!  if you can find out anything about My Uncle Caldwell please let me know, I have never met any of my Australian relatives. I have heard there is also a national Park named after him but have been unable to find it on the net. If you can find that too it would be great. Look forward to hearing from you when you return, very sorry to hear about your Dad. 

• Like 2

Thanks for that info Graeme, I never even knew there was a 2nd BEF. Dave would also like to include my Uncle Jack in a second book if we can find enough information about him. 

I'd like to know whither my uncle was with the 1st or 2nd BEF .The old Camerionian was certainly with the 2nd BEF, however although I have met many Camerionians he was the first I met from the 6th Battalion, the same battalion as my Uncle. He however was from the signals section and could not remember my uncle. So really need to know whither the whole of the 6th Batt. was with the 2nd BEF or just their signals section. 

I'll also post another couple of interesting things he told me, other than the fact he was in France after everyone else had left. He is an nice old fella hopefully he will come back into the shop and I can ask him further questions.  

• Like 2

6th Battalion the Cameronians 

52nd (Lowland) Infantry Division

156th Infantry Brigade

from 3 September 1939 - 31 August 1945

3 September 1939 - 11 June 1940 - Home

12 June 1940 - 16 June 1940 - France

17 June 1940 - 11 October 1944 - Home

11 October 1944 - 13 October 1944 - At Sea

13 October 1944 - 31 August 1945 - North West Europe

1 October 1944 - 8 November 1944 - The Scheldt

8 February 1945 - 10 March 1945 - The Rhineland

23 March 1945 - 1 April 1945 - The Rhine

The 51st were sacrificed at St Valery and not St Nazaire.

So he was 2nd BEF.

• Like 3