Bad weather !!

Kenny Andrew

What's happening guys , you all snowed in ?

What's happening guys , you all snowed in ?

is the city centre/shop quiet kenny?

No issues with the weather here, I am enjoying it actually. Work has been open and buses a bit late but otherwise simply enjoying watching people who cannot drive in snow and who think this is the end of the world. Scotland (particularly in the city) really has NO clue how to handle snow.

:D Greg

We got a lot of people doing that down here to.

We got about 4 to 5 inches of it here and its now started to snow even worse than last night.

Was almost snowed in after visiting my parents in Perth at the weekend but managed to get back to Glasgow ,was a bit like Stalingrad. Never seen so much snow in my life ! Glasgow is OK ,a customer came up to see us yesterday from England by train which was pretty brave of him ,he had no problems although it did take him a while.

Was almost snowed in after visiting my parents in Perth at the weekend but managed to get back to Glasgow ,was a bit like Stalingrad. Never seen so much snow in my life ! Glasgow is OK ,a customer came up to see us yesterday from England by train which was pretty brave of him ,he had no problems although it did take him a while.

the perfect time for christmas shopping, deserted city streets?

We dont deal with it very well because weather of this severity doesnt happen to often,therefore we dont invest money in better equipment etc for something that generally only happens every few years if that.In Sweden where my girlfriend is from they know its coming every winter and all cars by law switch to studded snow tyres,they invest in bigger ploughs etc.They are used to it and its part of their culture.

And believe me they get snow that is six feet!..not six inches! But sometimes they get caught out too and schools close and trains etc stop.

They respect nature for what it is.They generally dont go out at night nor do they wear inadequate clothing..something we excel at.

We do moan a bit much though and behave as though a major disaster has unfolded.

Steve has it correct, in that people here LOVE to moan about it and make it a major issue rather than just deal with it.

Look at the BBC stories of late... "How to Survive in the Coldest Place on Earth" "How We Keep Heathrow Open" "Is Working from Home a Skive?" etc etc... pathetic, it is a few cm of snow, buck up and deal!

It is also common sense and decency... at home when it snows it is public law and order that you are required to shovel the path in front of your home, this allows a clear path for everyone by everyone pitching in and shoveling a little and ensures emergency services can get to you... here.... HA! Health and Safety probably say it is too dangerous for someone without a shovel certificate to move 1cm of snow.

As for Kenny's Stalingrad comment.... now THERE is a thought, lets have everyone in the city sleep outside tonight in trenches they dug.

PS... gritting with salt under 0'c is mostly useless because it is too cold for the snow/ice to melt even with the salt so it is a waste. Salt only works when the temp rises for it to be effective. You are better to move snow off paths as much as possible so when it warms and all the snow begins to melt, then the night hits and it re-freezes you do not get masses of ice... if this happens with the current snowfall we're all screwed over again.

Hi Alex ,

sorry missed your post , the shop is OK not as many people as usual but hopefully people will get used to it soon and start to appear , the on line shop is keeping us busy though, just wish parcel force would appear as packages are starting to mount up.

Perth was really bad when I was up , the A9 was closed and I had no way back to Glasgow, it opened again on Monday and after digging the car out , we managed to get onto the A9 using the 4 x 4 it was like driving a moon buggy to get to the A9 from the house as the roads had not been cleared and the snow was so deep.Once on the A9 Took 3 hours to get back behind a snow plough.

By the time my Dad dropped me off and got back the A9 was closed again,he decided to take a back road to get home. I phoned him to see how he was getting on and he told me he had just slid off the road and was in a ditch ,he was now starting to dig himself out! Not what you want to hear from a 77 year old man.Luckily he was near the Sherrif Muir hotel so I told him to go there for help, for once he listened to me and they got him out, he had to stay the night there.

Luckily he didn't make it any further if he had gone on a couple of miles and got stuck again he would have been in the middle of nowhere on his own, not a good situation.

He got home the next day though so all is well :)