Mosin Nagant sear spring

Hi Chaps, 

Wondered if anyone can help? Recently acquired a 1938 Mosin Nagant 1891/30 which unfortunately has a broken sear spring. The rifle itself is in good original condition and it would be nice if it could be cocked without the bolt assembly sliding right off. Not too familiar with Russian weaponry so not too sure whether this spring is readily available or will have to be made. Any help would be very much appreciated. Also, it came with a bayonet but I'm not convinced that it belongs to this particular gun as the serial numbers don't match. 

Many Thanks

BG

• Like 2

Hi BG, welcome to the forum :thumbsup: not too sure about that one ,maybe some of the other guys will know?

• Like 1

Hi BG, welcome to the forum :thumbsup: not too sure about that one ,maybe some of the other guys will know?

Thanks for that Kenny. First foray into Russian armaments. Bit of a learning curve!

• Like 2

Hi BG-

likely the bayonet would never match on a Russian weapon. They were never that careful with weapon ID numbers and the equipment was made to be rather universal. A Mosin Nagant bayonet was designed to always mount on the rifle and came without a scabbard. Originally it may have had a matching bayonet but this would quickly have changed with armory works, field swaps and re-issues.

• Like 2

Hi BG-

likely the bayonet would never match on a Russian weapon. They were never that careful with weapon ID numbers and the equipment was made to be rather universal. A Mosin Nagant bayonet was designed to always mount on the rifle and came without a scabbard. Originally it may have had a matching bayonet but this would quickly have changed with armory works, field swaps and re-issues.

Cheers Greg. that was very helpful. had a feeling this was a genuine piece. Just feels right!

• Like 2

hey bren gunner take a look at these links i got a mosin nagant and its an intresting rifle dont know about the sear spring tho :(

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks.htm

• Like 2

hey bren gunner take a look at these links i got a mosin nagant and its an intresting rifle dont know about the sear spring tho :(

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks.htm

Just checked out your links. Very interesting!

Found out some things I didn't know especially the markings.

It has a refurbishment mark on the barrel and what I think is a Ukrainian refurb mark on the stock.

Have no idea when this would have been done.

A number of other markings can't identify at the moment but will probably come to light over time.

Many thanks for that. Just the sort of info I wanted

BG

• Like 2

Just checked out your links. Very interesting!

Found out some things I didn't know especially the markings.

It has a refurbishment mark on the barrel and what I think is a Ukrainian refurb mark on the stock.

Have no idea when this would have been done.

A number of other markings can't identify at the moment but will probably come to light over time.

Many thanks for that. Just the sort of info I wanted

BG

just helping out another comrade lol i found out what most of my markings mean on that website, ive got the Ukrainian refurb mark too but ive got some weird markings that arnt even on that website :lol: ive got the big Tula star on the barrel shank and the serial number below it and all the parts of the rifle match even the bayonett, but the bolt and bayonett have the Izhevsk Arrow in the Triangle mark but wouldnt they be made in the Tula factory? i'll have to put up some pictures. :D

• Like 2

just helping out another comrade lol i found out what most of my markings mean on that website, ive got the Ukrainian refurb mark too but ive got some weird markings that arnt even on that website :lol: ive got the big Tula star on the barrel shank and the serial number below it and all the parts of the rifle match even the bayonett, but the bolt and bayonett have the Izhevsk Arrow in the Triangle mark but wouldnt they be made in the Tula factory? i'll have to put up some pictures. :D

Yeah that does seem strange. If the serial numbers match you would think they were made

and stamped in the same factory. Just having another look at this one to see if it makes any more sense.

It's also a Tula made weapon. Would be interesting to see some photos to compare. Will do the same

this end.

Cheers

BG

• Like 2

Only original would parts have all 1 factory, if refurbished the Russian Armory would pull apart the entire gun and cobble together parts, this was a very typical Russian thing to do and you would expect stamped parts from all sorts of places.

• Like 2

Only original would parts have all 1 factory, if refurbished the Russian Armory would pull apart the entire gun and cobble together parts, this was a very typical Russian thing to do and you would expect stamped parts from all sorts of places.

it was refurbished in the ukraine but that stamp is on the stock, but if its all different parts wouldnt they have different serial numbers?

• Like 2

I have about 3 Point of aim proof markings, a Provisional black powder proof on the Barrel shank, a Izhevsk mark under the sights and on the bayonett and bolt. then just lots of weired circles and stuff like the gravestone shape with a C in it and what looks like a 13 and with the letter H above it and a circle with number 60 in it. I'll have to look into them more and see what they mean

post-2142-1290877786_thumb.jpg

post-2142-1290877798_thumb.jpg

post-2142-1290877872_thumb.jpg

post-2142-1290877906_thumb.jpg

post-2142-1290877944_thumb.jpg

post-2142-1290877978_thumb.jpg

post-2142-1290878003_thumb.jpg

post-2142-1290878030_thumb.jpg

post-2142-1290878054_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Ukraine was a part of the USSR until Communism fell apart, so a Ukraine mark simply means it was checked/refurbed there... but nearly all arms were checked in the Ukraine.

The rifle probably came in, was inspected for refurbishment and found to be sound and so matching numbers remained but was stamped refurbished to show it had been checked. Also check to be 100% sure the matching numbers are original and there is no sign of earlier numbers ground off. Numbers were forced matched during refurbishments.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSerial.htm

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinFAQ.htm

• Like 2

Ukraine was a part of the USSR until Communism fell apart, so a Ukraine mark simply means it was checked/refurbed there... but nearly all arms were checked in the Ukraine.

The rifle probably came in, was inspected for refurbishment and found to be sound and so matching numbers remained but was stamped refurbished to show it had been checked. Also check to be 100% sure the matching numbers are original and there is no sign of earlier numbers ground off. Numbers were forced matched during refurbishments.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSerial.htm

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinFAQ.htm

Good short chat about refurbishment at:

http://russian-mosin-nagant.com/forum/view...=45&t=14330

the bayonett, bolt, buttplate and barrel shank serial numbers look like they havent been touched but on the magazine floorplate it has its serial number and another number next to it that looks like this л п 2890 with a line threw it

• Like 2

• 10 years later...

That is an L and a P, and the line means "deleted"

• Like 2