1941 The Invasion of Ukraine - German Amateur Film

:o

Great footage. Pity that all WW2 was not filmed in colour, especially the British. It's clear the technology was available at the time.

Probably too expensive.

There is even WWI footage in color but it was massively expensive... if you ever want to see some watch the Wonderful World of Albert Kahn on BBC. He was massively rich and sent people to all corners of the globe from WWI till WWII filming it in colour!

:P

Watched this several times now. Very atmospheric especially from reading accounts of the campaign.

I am wondering about the speed of the film. The vehicles at the start seem to be tarvelling at a fair speed. The Marder 1 Jagdpanzer was based on the Panzer 1 and I would not have thought it could travel so fast. Equally the Sd.Kfz. 10/4 halftrack behind it.

The Russian dust roads are well illustrated as is the variation in the colour of field grey tunics especially officers.

I picked up a dvd years ago from a guy in Canada with 3 films on it. An SS Gebirgsjager Training Film and a film about Kursk. They were original reels discovered in an antique shop in Canada.

Interesting stuff. Again, B&W though.

Graeme,

Any chance of copying this even for "private research purposes." Who owns the copyright I wonder?

Yes. If you want I can pop it in the post to you or to Kenny's shop. Whatever is easier.

Interesting question on Copyright. The chap who bought the cans of film out of the shop claims copyright. I don't believe it is covered by copyright as the copyright would belong to the originator. Might be worth checking out.

post-11-1277409228_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

:D

Thanks Graeme,

I am in france for six weeks now but will PM when I return.

The copyright for the amateur footage would be the soldier who took it. Generally the training films would belong to the state.

Let Adolf demand royalties :hitler:

I would doubt if anyone would now own copyright.The soldier who took it certainly wont, now most likely dead and i imagine he never thought about copyright at the time or what would become of the film later,and its historical importance as a visual piece of history.