Sacked for interest in militaria

Ross

Did anyone see the full article in last weeks Sunday Times. Seemingly this chap who has an interest in Flak and published a book was sacked because of the compromising position this interest allegedly put him in. Delving further it would appear that this interest was sparked by the fact his grandfather was in the LW and awarded the Flak badge. Imposition of this censorship would seem a bit Nazi to me but I suspect the yellow bellied fear of offending potential doanations from a particular powerful old testament religious affiliation is at the root of this (dont mention the oppression by military force of the Arabs please).

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/worl...icle7076462.ece

Going by this logic I have a couple of KD Lang cds so what does that make me????

R

• Like 2

it is ridiculous, and if I was him I would sue the pants off HRW over the First Amendment freedom of expression and also invasion of privacy. Unless a direct link can be found where it influences his job HRW is entirely at the wrong. That said they can fire him under the belief his actions to not properly reflect the posture of the charity. However... it sounds more like he was a little too honest in other things for HRW and they needed an excuse... it's not sexy to be a human rights charity with your military expert stating accidents and atrocities happen in war and it is not always a human rights violation.

• Like 2

seems a bit of an over reaction to me , I hope he is taking legal advice.

• Like 1

Liking anything or rather having an interest in anything relating to the Third Reich period is just not tolerated in our PC world.And taking on massive machines like his employer is impossible.He should perhaps have been more discreet considering his job,but also why should he not be free to enjoy his hobby.It hasnt affected his ability to competently do his job i believe.Im pretty cynical about who he works for.They have their own vested interests and agenda.As for freedom of speech..Im sure Greig knows better but i hear its rapidly disappearing in US.Just like here.

• Like 2

:huh:

There's too many people wishing to describe anyone with an interest in WW2 as a "Nazi" or militarist.

Employers are sensitive to outside comments. I keep my hobby quiet except to trusted friends.

<_<

• Like 2

• 6 years later...

Yes, you have to be very carefull nowadays, about what you say or think - and collecting militaria is widely considered criminal, esp. in Germany, etc. Even in front of friends, you have to be very carefull. Friends are not often like-minded, don't have same interests. (Gleichgesinnt)

• Like 3