1914 EKII and 1870/71 non-combatant

Morning all,

Just received two new medals for my collection.

First is the commonly seen 1914 Iron Cross Second Class. Marked 'V' on the ring, original ribbon included:

post-17-1268718905_thumb.jpg

The second is a 1870-1871 Franco Prussian War Non-combatant medal in steel, again with original ribbon. These were issued to non-frontline troops such as doctors. Bit harder to find the non-combatant, the usual medal encountered is the brass version stamped on the sides that it is made from captured French cannon.

post-17-1268719028_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

:D^_^

Nice couple of medals Greg.

• Like 2

Morning all,

Just received two new medals for my collection.

First is the commonly seen 1914 Iron Cross Second Class. Marked 'V' on the ring, original ribbon included:

post-17-1268718905_thumb.jpg

The second is a 1870-1871 Franco Prussian War Non-combatant medal in steel, again with original ribbon. These were issued to non-frontline troops such as doctors. Bit harder to find the non-combatant, the usual medal encountered is the brass version stamped on the sides that it is made from captured French cannon.

post-17-1268719028_thumb.jpg

i want one of those 1870 non combatants medals, i have the 1870 iron cross second class purchased from kenny.

can you tell me are all these 1870 non combatants type made in steel?

• Like 2

Lackie, they are made in steel or a metal alloy with a silver steel finish applied. Both can be obtained for under £25 which is a good bargain for such an old medal from a very short conflict!

The brass soldiers medals are offered all in brass but with or without the stamp on the side stating it is made from captured french cannon.

• Like 2

Lackie, they are made in steel or a metal alloy with a silver steel finish applied. Both can be obtained for under £25 which is a good bargain for such an old medal from a very short conflict!

The brass soldiers medals are offered all in brass but with or without the stamp on the side stating it is made from captured french cannon.

excellent greg thanks

• Like 2

No problem!

BTW very jealous you have the Franco Prussian Iron Cross from Kenny! Had my eye on it for a while but always was a bit too much on my wallet when available! Oh well next time!

• Like 2

No problem!

BTW very jealous you have the Franco Prussian Iron Cross from Kenny! Had my eye on it for a while but always was a bit too much on my wallet when available! Oh well next time!

used kennys payaway method, excellent idea

• Like 2