Starting a collection

ajax

I've already introduced myself in another thread on this excellent forum, however, a hello goes out to all who never read my initial introduction and are now reading this.

Before I moved to London I had a small collection of German WW2 Medals and badges (Iron Cross 1st and 2nd Class, Eastern Front Medal, Wounds Badges in Silver and Black) a very small collection but one I was keen to build on. However, on moving from Paisley, Scotland to London I misplaced / lost my collection. I was naturally gutted and lost interest for a while, however, I am beginning to catch the bug again.

I have a few books on the Liebstandarte, all Fedorowicz publications and I'm keen to build on this with Bender or Schiffer publications.

I digress,............basically just looking for advice on how to start a collection again. Should I buy a book to identify fakes / replicas from authentic articles? Although the Treasure Bunker is the place to go for "what we are all looking for", would anyone know of any "similar" shops in London?

I apologise if I sound like a complete......... newbie,......... freshman,.......... rookie,............ idiot!!!!!! :D

Thanks in advance

Hi Ajax, Did I know you by name when you used to visit the bunker? Good books are very useful also make sure if you buy anything you get a decent guarantee with it. Not sure if there's anything left in London now, there used to be about six shops but I think they have all gone now.

There are a few shops in London, just google for them but the really good shops seem to have all gone virtual and closed up. London area is good to get out to the fairs in the summer though. Get books first, know what you are buying!

Hi Ajax, Did I know you by name when you used to visit the bunker? Good books are very useful also make sure if you buy anything you get a decent guarantee with it. Not sure if there's anything left in London now, there used to be about six shops but I think they have all gone now.

Kenny, you didn't know me by name but I did get a couple of excellent books from you along with the majority of the medal / badge collection I mentioned in my opening post.

I bought a few books from you in the past, most notably one was about the Liebstandarte, it was (if memory serves) a light coloured cover with LAH intertwinned writing as the cover. I believe it was a Bender publication, again, I have looked high and low for this book (yes.........it is MIA) with no luck yet! If anyone has any idea where I can get this book, please let me know. It was Volume One in a Two volume set (I think :rolleyes: )

One of the books I have is Jost W. Schneider's "Verleihung Genehmigt!" (Their Honor was Loyalty). I have a 1st Edition which is numbered 137 of 500 and is signed by the author).

I am keen to expand my knowledge especially in the history of the Waffen SS on the Eastern Front and other theatres and always on the look out for Bender, Schiffer and Fedorowicz publications on the Waffen SS.

I'm coming up to Scotland next week so will make the effort to get upto the Treasure Bunker to say hello, you may ...........or may not recognise me from before, but that doesn't matter. It will be good to have a browse.

Kenny, Greg, I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my opening post. Thanks

sounds good Ajax, yes pop in and say hello :thumbsup:

Collecting german medals as I was once told,is like walking through a mine field with snow shoes on.Every one can get

through.The advanced collector and the new guy also.You got to figure out the best way for you.My advice for a new guy.

Never buy anything own your own to start.YOU WILL GET BURNT.Ask for help...Join some forums,ask for help.

buy ONLY FROM WELL KNOWN dealers and collectors and ask for help.Only start on a couple of types of medals at

first and study them.For example,if you wish to buy a wound badge ask people who study them.The same with eks ect.

Main thing....ASK FOR HELP.If you do not know what you are doing,you will get BURNT.THAT IS A FACT.

Hope this is some help.

don

• 1 month later...

yes eBay is hell! that's why i only buy things like models etc off of eBay never military (well maybe once with the Uboat Searchlight that got broke in the post and is now worthless :( ) But yes avoid anything German on eBay its bound to be a pile of worthless metal from China