South Staffordshire tie pin (circa 1930s/1940s???)

irishmeg1970

post-32-1201235853_thumb.jpgI have come across this tie pin, and it seems to look as it is of that time period, maybe even older. :mellow:

The ribbon color on the pin is blue with the words South Staffordshire stamped in a gold color. It also has the pretzel-like knot above the ribbon, and above the knot is the crown with red enamel inside the crown. The fastener is what made me think that it is 1940s or earlier, as it has a safety pin-type closure, and it is stamped with the word Silver.

I would appreciate someone who can possibly tell me if I am dating it correctly by the way it looks, and what value it may have.

It just surprises me that I came across this in a place that is outside a small town in Washington State, USA. My grandfather served in WW2 (Army MSSgt.) and was overseas in UK in 1942, and because of the way his pins and medals looked that is how I also think that this South Staffordshire tie pin is from that time period.

I appreciate any further assistance with this, and for those of you that access this and are vets/enlisted, thanks for your duties and service. :)

Hi There Irish Meg welcome to the forum :)

Is it possible for you to post a picture of the pin ? that would make it easier to help out.

Are you from Washington State ? I used to visit there when I was a small boy , we used to stay at my uncles who had a Holiday house in a place called Sudden Valley do you know it? We also used to visit Seatle and went up the tower there ,an experience I found a bit traumatising as a young chap :unsure:

Hi there so I take it your from New York :)

Yes that is what we call a sweetheart broach .It was given to girlfriends and wifes by the solders who served in that regiment so there could wear it with pride when there husbands were away on active service.

They were produced from Victorian times until WW2.They are quite hard to date unless they are hallmarked.In this case though I would say yours is WW2 period, the difference between WW1 and WW2 would be negligible.However most likely WW2 and like your grandfather who served in the UK during the war was probably brought back by a US serviceman stationed in the UK

value approx £15 -£20 or $30-$40

Hope this helps

Kenny :)

Hi there so I take it your from New York :)

Yes that is what we call a sweetheart broach .It was given to girlfriends and wifes by the solders who served in that regiment so there could wear it with pride when there husbands were away on active service.

They were produced from Victorian times until WW2.They are quite hard to date unless they are hallmarked.In this case though I would say yours is WW2 period, the difference between WW1 and WW2 would be negligible.However most likely WW2 and like your grandfather who served in the UK during the war was probably brought back by a US serviceman stationed in the UK

value approx £15 -£20 or $30-$40

Hope this helps

Many thanks sir!! I am glad that I could get help with this. I think I will definitely hang on to it and add it to my grandfather's collection of medals, pins, and uniform. It would make a great addition to the WW2 stuff that he left me.

Have a great 2008, and I hope you get another chance to come to Washington State someday!

And no, I am not from New York, I came across this hat after the events of 9/11, and wear it to honor the NYPD officers and fire fighters that died that day.

Best Regards,

Meg

No problem Meg,

feel free to join in the forum discussions too , we will also be adding new games to the arcade soon.

you are our first member from the US.

Hope to Visit the States soon my parents live in Florida.

Have a good weekend