My Mauser K98

Hi again,

Just thought I would post some photos of my K98 Bolt action rifle. Love this gun, the bolt action has to be the best noise ever :D

P1030157.jpg

P1030158.jpg

P1030159.jpg

P1030160.jpg

P1030161.jpg

P1030162.jpg

• Like 3

all round lovely rifle :thumbsup: how much did you pay for it? if you don't mind me asking

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

I love the k98, after buying one i liked it so much i bought another, had a great time on the internet finding out information on these rifles and where they were made, i think right now is the time for anybody interested to get one cause maybe in the future, if not already now, there maybe k98 collectors.. :D

• Like 3

The market for these guns i have been told by a friend is going down. (could be all c**p but who knows)

Not that i have a problem with that as prices may go down to :D

You got any photos of yours Wayne ??

• Like 3

:D:lol:

Yes nice example. I had a good de ac a few years ago. Nice stock dated 1945. I agree the bolt action is suberb. I have shot a lot of mauser bolt action target rifles in the past.

Mind you my Moison Nagant (sp?) had a great action too.

Hope to get a live k98 in .22 to shoot rabbits and 7.92 to shot boar when I go to France.

:snipersmilie:

• Like 3

:lol:

As a bolt action weapon you should be able to join your local target shooting club and get a firearm certificate for a k98.

Good luck in that.

:thumbsup:

• Like 3

I highly doubt the K98 will go down in value. The German produced pre-war and war era weapons will only continue to climb in value. It is an old rifle in service for half a century in various forms but s superb weapon.

In the 1990s and early 2000s thousands hit the market from the Eastern Block. Many were shipped to US dealers who sold them wholesale. I remember seeing crated K98s in combat cases from Yugoslavia, Romania, etc complete with bayonets, cleaning kits, ammo pouches, everything selling for amazingly good prices ($150-$250 depending on condition) and yes there were fully functioning weapons.

The market still has plenty of the post war issued K98s produced for the eastern block and used and reserve weapons until they were all equipped with AK-47 and later AK-74s. These will likely go down in value (who wants to collect Yugoslavian 1955 K98s right?) and will also be heavily faked and re-stamped to look like German War Era rifles.

An interesting trace route for these rifles in the numbers of them sent to Israel. Large numbers were re-worked by the IDF in their early days to fight the wars of independence and are fascinating collectors items... from the Eastern Front with a Wehrmacht Soldaten to Palestine in the hands of an IDF soldier.

• Like 3

If these post war rifles get re-stamped to look like German War Era rifles, do you think they will be hard to spot? I Hope i have the genuine ww2.

• Like 3

• 10 years later...

There are otherwise a lot of Mausers around, which are German made, but not for use with the German military, either export production or captured, you can see the foreign markings and they were often re-numbered. Such examples are less value than an original Wehrmacht example. Mausers were produced for South American countries, but also Spain, Portugal, etc. The pre-war Portuguese Mausers are identical
to their German counterparts, and the contract was made in 1937. They are usually German marked, the butt has impressed Portuguese coat of arms, and are usually re-numbered in a different style to German examples. Some of these also have the Portuguese emblem properly stamped on the breech receiver, not known whether these were done in Portugal or by the original maker. These examples usually have a flat but plate and the stock is of very dark, grained wood, and not the laminated later Wehrmacht version.
Some of these weapons may have been re-worked and offered as "original Wehrmacht".

• Like 3