Classic War Films

Kenny Andrew

Here you can list your favourite war films from any period, you can add pictures and youtube clips of favourite moments.Any one not sure how to add a youtube clip just let us know and we'll let you know how to do it. Look forward to seeing your favourite war films and hopefully some lesser known ones which members may not be aware of.

• Like 1

Here's one of my favourites Cross of Iron. There was a TV programme on last year which was a countdown of the 100 best war films Cross of Iron I think came about 76th ? It was low budget but I think one of the best films ever made never mind best war film, Certainly Sam Pekinpahs best, pity they ran out of money at the end would love to have seen the film as it was meant to be. 

crossofironintro.jpg

crossofironposter.jpg

crossofiron_coburn.jpg

crossof_iron_stranski.jpg

cross_of_ironbrandt.jpg

crossof_iron_end.jpg

crossof_iron_warner.jpg

crossofironend.gif

• Like 1

Any one not sure how to add a youtube clip just let us know and we'll let you know how to do it.

I'll put up my list via YouTube clips but could not figure it out, how is it done?

• Like 2

Hi Greg, yes it used to be quite straight forward but I think youtube have changed things I will pin how to do it in the "favourite you tube forum".

• Like 1

The first two are your old classics, the second 2 are more modern 'popular' but reasonably well done. The final is a massive documentary but amazingly well done and worth the watch for anyone wanting to understand the American Civil War. I have a massive collection of War movies so it is hard to say what is better than others.

Guns of Navarone

Band of Brothers

Ken Burns: The Civil War

• Like 2

Great Choices Greg, Guns of Navarone is one of my favourites too, although a little dated now it is certainly a classic.It also had a very good sequel Force 10 from Naverone. Quality actors such as Gregory Peck,David Niven,Anthony Quinn,Stanley Baker,Anthony Quayle and even Richard Harris. Some of it was filmed on the island of Rhodes,when I visited there I drove the poor Greek taxi driver mad trying to find the beach where they filmed Naverone of course when we got there there were no big guns only a beach :D Whilst looking for the Navarone beach however the taxi driver dropped me off at a place he said was the Naverone beach it wasn't however after a few minutes I realised what it was ,it was where they filmed the rather strange WW2 film "Escape from Athena" also with David Niven. I have the photos somewhere and will post them, clear as day as the locations where Rodger Moore ,Telly Savalas ect did there filming.

Guns1.gif

guns2.jpg

guns3.jpg

guns4.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi There

Just finished collecting the War Movies collection a total of 68 war movies some really good ones and some really old black and white classics.

Best all time war movie, Where Eagles Dare and that classic line "Broadsword calling Danny Boy""

Excellent scenery really need to visit that castle !!!!

Robert.

• Like 2

I always liked 'Where Eagles Dare' though if you are a strict historian it is hard to place this as a 'reality' type movie... if only huh?

Hi There

Just finished collecting the War Movies collection a total of 68 war movies some really good ones and some really old black and white classics.

Best all time war movie, Where Eagles Dare and that classic line "Broadsword calling Danny Boy""

Excellent scenery really need to visit that castle !!!!

Robert.

• Like 2

Since when has Hollywood dealt in reality!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You only have to look at The Charge of the Light Brigade (1936 version) to realise Hollywood and reality are on 2 opposite planets.

My favourite war film is Zulu.

Death Awaits You All

• Like 2

Interesting tid-bit

Many of the 'classic' hollywood films (pre-1980s) used original military equipment for such films as Zulu, Charge of the Light Brigade, etc. Hollywood purchased massive amounts of surplus swords and rifles from dealers such as Francis Bannerman. Deciding that the original was not original enough they they cut, chopped, welded, and contorted these original military weapons into something nice for the screen.

Many of these (in the thousands) were sold on ebay about 10 years ago. It was enough to make you cry, original Ames marked 1861 US Cavalry Sabres with fake hand guards welded on, etc etc... destroying all value from items that did see action in the Crimea, Us Civil War, Spanish American War and both World Wars.

• Like 2

Zulu was a Brilliant film also love Zulu Dawn. Its a pity in Zulu despite it being so accurate,  Micheal Caine had stay bright buttons on his tunic.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Top 2 war films would have to be 1) Hamburger Hill. Met several Nam vets when I did plcement in Texas few years back including one guy who served with 101 Airborne and was involved in all attack waves up Hamburger Hill. Now works as a Social worker.

2) has to be Stalingrad. Great film crap dubbing. Just cant read enough about the Russian Front or get enough relics attributed to this area.

Ross

• Like 2

Hi Ross, you can get Stalingrad in German with English subtitles , its much better :)

• Like 1

Well as I am off work on Mondays sat up till all hours last night watching the TV last night.Watched a great film which I had never seen before "Goodnight Mr Tom" no Germans and no action however it covered the evacuation of Children from London during the Blitz.It starred the Late Great John Thaw from "The Sweeney" must have been the last film he made. Thought it was great one of those films you didn't want to end, quality film like they used to make in the old days,worth a watch if its on.

• Like 1

:o

I have found a good website "Landser" on www.deutschesoldaten.com. dealing with the German soldier in WW1 and 2 :lol:

Scroll down to the books section and there is a good essay with pictures on what could have been the inspiration for the book by Willi Heinrich that the film "Cross of Iron" was based on. It describes the Jager regiment and the individual Sgt. Steiner was possibly based upon.

An interesting read for those of us who have enjoyed the film! ;)

Dave :rolleyes:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I've got return from River Kwai but not had a chance to watch it yet, freebee from the Mail . Wild Geese is a classic, had forgotten about that, all those great actors and I'm sure when Burton drank that whiskey it wasn't cold tea :D 

Did anybody see the sequel ? I didn't like it at the time because Burton died just before they were starting to film it but in retrospect it might have been good as they were trying to release Rudolf Hess. Can't really remember much else about it and it's not available on DVD at the moment :(

• Like 1

There are bits of war films I like, e.g. the scene in Bridge Too far between James Fox and Michael Caine as the columns of Shermans are advancing down the highway.

Trouble is I tend to sit picking mistakes and bloomers. The second Charge of the Light Brigade, the Tony Whatsit version, had the Mollo team researching the uniforms, they even produced a useful booklet on the uniforms of the Light Brigade.

At the beginning of the film Lord Cardigan speaks of his pride in his Hussar regt., who he clothed with red trousers, his 'Cherubims' or 'Cherry Bums'. Then the film makers made all that a load of nonesense by clothing ALL the light cavalry in red trousers.

Zulu - the 24th Foot, South Wales Borderers, didn't wear helmet plates during the Zulu campaign, looks good tho' dunnit ?

Empire of the Sun, you know the Blood Chit the little boy wears on ther back of his flying jacket ? Don't wanna brag, (Oh, .... all right then), I painted that, three versions actually in varying states of disintegration as time moved on.

Also supplied a great model Jagdpanther for the SS General to handle in Bridge Too far, but the buggers cut that scene out. Tell you what though film, companies do pay very, very well.

• Like 2

Newlyn quite right to bragg about the Blood chits, that's your work immortalised in cinema history for ever  how did they find out about you? There's a new Scottish film coming out about SS Zombies during WW2 I think it's stars the Big guy out of Rome who plays a British Para , The makers came in to see us last year unfortunately they did not know about us and had already got the uniforms from London but we did supply them with lots of posters and bit's and pieces for the bunker scenes , one to watch out for.

• Like 1

:o

I don't think its bragging if it's true and you have done what you say. Its a great achievement:lol:

I totally agree about the obvious mistakes spoiling the film for me. <_<

Otherwise I get annoyed at things like the enemy who fires lots and lots of bullets and never hits anything and stereotyped "Nazis" cropping up when they can't think of a more original "baddy" :mellow:

Perhaps you can tell us how to get into the technical side of films and TV, seeing that they pay well! It must be an interesting job?:lol:

• Like 2

Kenny, do you remember Quartermasters at the Angel. The late Mike Ross & co., (And what a great bloke he was ) ?

They seemed to live and breathe by supplying film stuff, plus TV work. When that plethora of war films seemed to fade so did they.

Mind you a visit to their warehouse in Islington was fraught with danger, but always a good laugh when Mike was around.

• Like 2

As for getting into that side of films etc. I was just lucky being "At the right place at the right time" and known to be a bit handy with a brush, and knowing a bit about military stuff.

• Like 2

Hi Newlyn yes I remember Mike , met him a few times at Nottingham Arms fair, he was always trying to get me to get pissed with him at the bar ,which was all good and well under normal circumstances but not after I had driven hundreds of miles to buy Militaria . Big bloke with a short haircut is that correct ? I had forgotten about Quartermasters, didn't even realise they were not on the go any more , when did they stop trading?

• Like 1

Kenny, Quartermasters went under many years back. I remember one guy came a'visiting with a brand new sports car, of which he was very proud. Whilst the others kept him amused, much like monkeys while the organ grinder picks your pocket, one of the gang hammered the whistle from a kettle spout up the exhaust. The shop was up a small side street, so when he drove of it merely whined a little, but when he turned into Upper Street and poured on the gas, you got the full treament.

Mike was a diver you know, plus a bit of an explosives expert, which he used in the film work, but what a really nice guy, much missed.

• Like 2