Blacklights

Greg

Quick question that stems from the postcard proofing discussion... blacklights... from experience what do you recommend? Since I'm starting to move into cloth and paper and out of bayonets where I know how to spot the fakes it would be good to have a blacklight. I was thinking of one of those small handheld torch style LED blacklights cause I can put it on my keychain and hence test things on-the-go as I find them in shops and fairs. However, anyone use them and are they any good? Or is it best to get the larger handheld tube style lamps?

Hi Greg,

I've never seen the small ones ,I use the hand held type which is very useful.

But remember the UV light is only one test of many you should use and is only helpful to give you a fuller picture when you are unsure of an item.

I remember when they first came out and were all the rage , I heard of a chap who used one to check his whole collection of Luftwaffe insignia, allot of it glowed so in the bin it went, later he found out that the Germans did indeed use synthetic material and he had thrown out allot of original material :shok0002:

If you don't like an item and it glows most likely it is modern however bear in mind even the Turin shroud will glow under UV light .

• 3 weeks later...

A lot of the problems that stem from items glwoign under a black light stem from vets and the people who brought the stuff back washing the items.A lot of modern washing powders will make a cloth item glow under black light.You have to wonder how many of the vets wifes washed their war trophies after they were brought home.

The black light can be used as an aid,but is not the be all and end all when it comes to checking your cloth collection.

On the subject of paper,it depends on what kind of paper items you are going to collect.Pictures and photos are heavily faked,especially pictures of the leading units and regiments,along with tank and armour pictures.A whole flood of them came from Russia with Russian stamps on the back claiming to be from a museum and press offices.A lot of these are faked and you should always be weary of anything with a Russian stamp.

A knolwedge of Field Post numbers,or some kind of reference book on them would be adventagious when collecting documents as this will let you know if the information on the documents is right.

Last but not least,try and buy from someone who has a lifetime guarentee(like Kenny!) .Dealers are not nfalable and can make mistakes like the rest of us so the guarentee will give you a little bit of a fallback if your item is found to be fake.

And the old saying of if it is too good then it is probably not is a good yard stick.

Hope this helps a little bit

David F

• 6 months later...
A lot of the problems that stem from items glwoign under a black light stem from vets and the people who brought the stuff back washing the items.A lot of modern washing powders will make a cloth item glow under black light.You have to wonder how many of the vets wifes washed their war trophies after they were brought home.

The black light can be used as an aid,but is not the be all and end all when it comes to checking your cloth collection.

On the subject of paper,it depends on what kind of paper items you are going to collect.Pictures and photos are heavily faked,especially pictures of the leading units and regiments,along with tank and armour pictures.A whole flood of them came from Russia with Russian stamps on the back claiming to be from a museum and press offices.A lot of these are faked and you should always be weary of anything with a Russian stamp.

A knolwedge of Field Post numbers,or some kind of reference book on them would be adventagious when collecting documents as this will let you know if the information on the documents is right.

Last but not least,try and buy from someone who has a lifetime guarentee(like Kenny!) .Dealers are not nfalable and can make mistakes like the rest of us so the guarentee will give you a little bit of a fallback if your item is found to be fake.

And the old saying of if it is too good then it is probably not is a good yard stick.

Hope this helps a little bit

David F

Wow after all these years I just worked out how to add a quote :o

Wow after all these years I just worked out how to add a quote :o

That is seriously slow. Perhaps we should call you Elmer from now on. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: