Mystery Coat of Arms

Seeker

Hello Again,

I feel somewhat more ignorant than usual putting this one out there. I feel sure that all of you living there will know what it is instantly, but I am just an American unfamiliar with all the various coats of arms used "over there". However, we can't all know everything, can we? Which, of course, is the reasons for forums like this one!

So here it is: It looks like the Great Britain and Northern Ireland Coat of Arms but there are no words and the Center contains a leaf (maple?).

The reverse has Four Tabs or Flanges that at this point are bent all the way down onto the back of the metal ring, but which I assume were meant to act as a device to secure the object to something.

The Piece is 6 cm in diameter and a magnet DOES stick to it.

Please let me know if these photos are sufficient or if you'd like me to send more. I'll be happy to do so.

Once again, my many thanks! ;)

Joanie

post-699-1249316090_thumb.jpg

post-699-1249316105_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

not sure what that one is but I don't think it's British , that looks more like a stag on the right hand side instead of a unicorn?

any body else any ideas?

22in_royal_coat_of_arms_special_2_350.jpg

• Like 1

Um... Raf... the Russian royal coat of arms has a double headed eagle in it, this does not. So unless it is a minor coat, it is not Russian.

I'm leaning towards British Empire as the Lion is correct, however as Kenny states the other animal is a stag and not a Unicorn so it is not the royal family. I had a very quick look at Candian coats but saw nothing. The crown atop denotes a royal coat. If you identify the crown you can identify what monarch it belongs to. I have a reference guide of crowns from an old Armorer issue but will have to reference it later.

It is not very complicated, not well stamped so could be for something smaller, a city, unit, etc... we'll keep looking.

• Like 2

Um... Raf... the Russian royal coat of arms has a double headed eagle in it, this does not. So unless it is a minor coat, it is not Russian.

point i only have just realized that :blush:

• Like 2

Still not 100% sure but I would say Canadian. The Stag is prevalent in a lot of French and Canadian crests, the Lion in British Crests. Look at the crown, it has a Fleur above it, not a cross as is common with British Crowns. I also think the centre item is a star and not a maple leaf. It having attachment points only on top is a puzzle though, was it made to affix to a sash or belt? Atop a hat? To a sporran or something leather? I'm not too sure yet. I do not think it is military though, but again that is a guess.

• Like 2

I've never seen anything like it before, as Greg says it might not even be military , my guess is at this moment it's some sort of fantasy badge such as you would see on a fashion clothing. If you look closely the "Stag" has the chains around it as the unicorn should have , this is what makes me think it's a fantasy badge .although I could be wrong.

• Like 1

is this not one of the early london borough crests, i was looking at one with a lion and stag, i'll try and get the name

• Like 2

why not try The Heraldry Society of Scotland

these guys love this sort of thing

Society email Address: info@heraldry-scotland.co.uk

• Like 2

I have to say it again - All of you gents are WONDERFUL! I'll try the Society, but I hope that you all will continue searching it out if you would be so kind. If I get an answer through them, I'll post it here soonest!

:D

Joanie

• Like 2

will do Joanie , if you get a answer from the Society please let us know :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Hi All,

Lackie14, still no word from the Heraldry Society - are you sure that e-mail address is right? (I double-checked the address I sent it to and it's the same as the one in your post). :unsure:

Thanks again in advance!

Joanie

• Like 2

Sounds like another case of people not bothering to answer peoples emails, hopefully not, maybe they are on holiday ?

• Like 1

I do believe you are being slightly overoptimistic in the speed of their response. (If indeed you ever receive one). Societies such as this do not tend to respond to e-mail requests asking for identification of something. I don't believe this is snobbishness just not enough staff to deal with too many requests. Therefore they ignore all requests. You may have better luck on this Forum:

http://heraldry-scotland.com/HSSforum/index.php

• Like 2

Graeme,

Thank you so much for the information concerning the Forum. I've registered with them and hope to attain illumination there soon!

:thumbsup:

Kindest Regards,

Joanie

• Like 2

yes that was the correct email address joanie

i think graemes may be better joanie , sorry you didn't get a reply theirs alot of that going around at present but as graeme said maybe they don't have the man power

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello My Scottish Brothers,

Never did hear back from the administrator to give me registered access that I applied for on-line.

I will try once more with them in case there was a computer hiccup. I'll let you know if I can register there.

All the Best to all of you!

Joanie

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hello Gentlemen and Ladies,

I'm still awaiting news from the Heraldry Society website. No Administrator contact yet on 2nd try. Not too hopeful.

Just didn't want you to think I'd forgotten you!

Joanie :help:

• Like 2

Hi Joanie, not looking too good I'm afraid ,hope you hear from them soon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have made contact finally!

The Heraldry Society have sent me a note, I have sent them some photos and I will let you know if / when I hear anything else.

Once again, thanks so much to all of you wonderful gentlemen for your assistance.

:D

Joanie

• Like 2

Excellent Joanie , lets hope they can help :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 11 years later...

Definitely not British. I have seen it before somewhere, but cannot remember. It is certainly a non-Christian, non-European state.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like The Heraldry Society never replied, I still think it's a fashion accoutrement from a handbag or belt.   

• Like 1