Royal Scots in USA?

Seeker

Greetings from the State of Michigan!

I've been enjoying browsing through your website. Especially because I know you're in Scotland and I'm Scottish by heritage (McKinley from Ayshire) but have never yet been there. Someday!

I found this piece in a pile of odd jewelry items at a Community-wide "Garage Sale", not sure what you call these sales over there. I bought it because it intrigued me and because of my Scottish connection.

I showed it via e-mail to a British E-Bay friend in Birmingham and he suggested contacting you to see if anyone might know a bit about it. I'm very pleased that he told me about you! :D

If any of you are Veterans and/or Enlisted please let me offer my heartfelt thanks for your service. Many of us will never forget your sacrifices. My 22 year old son is entering the Coast Guard this fall and so I will be a military mom. Here we call them "Coasties" and so I haven't let up on callling him Coastie anytime I can. I am helping him train for Boot Camp in about a month by being his swimming coach. We live on Lake Michigan, so he will be hitting the waves every morning at 5 am!

For those of you who don't know much about Lake Michigan, its stats are 118 miles (190 km) wide, and about 307 miles (494 km) long. Its total area is 67,900 square miles (175,860 km2).

I always say the reason I can't leave Lake Michigan is that living on "Big Water" is in my Scottish genes. :rolleyes:

Anyway, if you can help me with this Mystery Item, I really would appreciate it!

Kindest Regards to all.

post-699-1248530831_thumb.jpg

post-699-1248530840_thumb.jpg

Hello Seeker, welcome to the forum :)

That's an unusual badge you have there, could you let us know the dimensions ? also what metal is it made of ? is it gold ? if so is it hallmarked?

I've never come across that one before , is it a Roman figure?

very unusual pin at the back have you any idea the reason of the ring design?

My initial thoughts would be Royal Scots Officer Training Corp or O.T.C.

will see what I can find out for you.

anybody else any ideas?

Hello and thank you so much for your reply!

I know absolutely nothing about this piece. The metal coiled ring on the back is heavy but not gold. A magnet does not stick to any parts of the item. I don't think the front decorative piece is gold either, although it has maintained its gold color at least on the front. My Friend said it looks like it may have been a sliding type of tie for a kerchief? Just guessing.

It looks like a Roman Figure, but again, not sure. I have seen one or two badges with this Roman type of figure and "The Royal Scots" beneath, on E-Bay, but the rest of the pieces were nothing like this.

As to dimensions:

15 mm from back of ring to front of decorative piece. Assume diameter of ring is about 14 mm.

Decorative Piece is about 22 mm high, about 3 cm wide at broadest point.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again for your time and for the welcome!

• Like 1

Thanks Seeker :) Leave it with me I'll see what I can find out.

• Like 1

Well it looks die pressed, maybe with electroplated zinc core or something?

I'm leaning towards Kenny's idea od an OTC style badge. I've never seen this when I was living in the States so it is not some ordinary bit made by the typical US badge companies which will make a commemorative military badge for just about anything.

Kenny, you still in touch with Mikey at all? He's a big badge man he might have a clue.

• Like 1

Yes I was talking to Mikey a few weeks ago , although I think I might know what it is, just need to check my books when I go back into work on Tuesday.

• Like 1

The Roman figure may not be so unusual given that they are nicknamed 'Pontius Pilot's Bodyguard'

• Like 1

You All Are Awesome! I've never gotten such speedy responses on a forum, nor such friendliness and willingness to help. It is warming my heart! Thank you in advance for all your assistance.

With Kindest Regards from Your Scottish Sister

• Like 1

Sorry about the delay Seeker , shop has been hectic this week , will try to find out for you tomorrow :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Hi Seeker,

bad news I'm afraid my reference books turned up nothing ,however I have a very advanced badge collector coming into the shop next week ,I will ask him if he can shed any light on it. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

So... the mystery item remains a mystery for a bit longer... actually, I love the suspense! :1219:

Thanks so much for your TIME and Expertise.

• Like 1

Hi Seeker,

I have managed to find out what the badge is .It's a private purchaise item made for a member of the Royal Scots or his girlfriend a sweatheart broach type of item.We are not sure whither it is a ring or a napkin ring it may be a bit small for this.

And as G says the person on the badge is indeed Pontius Pilot.

So you have quite a unique item there ,probably originally owned by a veteran who moved to the US or brought back by a US soldier who would have swapped it with a Tommy.

Hope this helps :)

• Like 1

Yes! It has helped immensely! And who would have known? Verra interesting.

And today I was given another "mystery item" by my boyfriend who has all sorts of mystery items. I will post it as a separate topic.

So, as you have solved this puzzle, I thank you with all my heart for your kindness!

Kindest Regards,

Joanie :)

• Like 1