Help identify this sword????

Jeanette

I have this sword and though I have searched and researched I have been unable to identify it. Mostly because of my lack of knowledge in the subject. I was hoping someone might be able to help me to identify it or at least point me in the right direction. The blade is 32.25". I am not certain if any other measurements are required. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks for allowing me to join the group. I look forward to your insight.cnWGiWI.jpgOdKUcxQ.jpgw9sv1nY.jpg3YxWALH.jpgzJuzTBx.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/DDiZEzR.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/cnWGiWI.jpg

• Like 4

A European, possibly German, sword or rapier of the 17th Century, either an original, or could be a 19th Century historismus copy. Exact nationality is difficult to say. Futher research would be required.

• Like 4

Thank you for your thoughts. I don't know much at all about edged weapons. Would an original be made like that with the threads that screw into the handle or would that be a sign of the blade being put with a different handle.

• Like 4

I was thinking from my research which is limited and in no way certain that it was a late 16th early 17th century running wolf? But that isn't certain as it's hard to make out the marks on it. 

• Like 4

Also as I was researching I noticed most blades have the groove for like the blood run off or something. But this blade is flat and has no groove at all. Which I haven't seen a whole lot of. Any reason why that might be?

• Like 4

The groove on edged weapons is called a fuller. A fuller is not a groove for blood to run off but generally a way of making a blade lighter and therefore easier to handle. It is also used to stiffen longer blades, the longer the blade the more the stiffening effect.

It may not be obvious on the photos but are you saying that there is a visible ‘running wolf’ mark on the blade.

• Like 4

Well shows what I know about it. And there is several markings on the blade. What looks kind of like a name and there is one circle that is almost on the top of the blade. And I think there is a running wolf but it's very hard to tell. I looked at the running wolf markings and if I'm correct it would be the one about that time period. I will try to get better pictures and maybe you can make sense of it. Also there is what looks like an A about mid blade. And on the bottom by the threads is a eyelash mark of sorts. I don't know if the pictures show it clearly

• Like 4

I believe this is the name on it but i really don't know for certain it's very hard to clearly see it. 'Jaspar Bongen me fecit'

• Like 3

I feel like maybe that isn't the original hilt. Like the blade is original but the hilt replaced perhaps. That might not be correct at all but I feel like maybe that might be the case.

• Like 4

I apologize again. My knowledge on the subject is very limited. I am going on what I have researched and what I have been able to make out on the blade. Which is very hard to do with much certainty. The sword was passed down to me and I have no idea. I would like to know and I have researched on and off since it's come into my possession. I was unaware of the scope of the possibilities on edged weapons. I will take some better pictures and maybe able to show what I am looking at. 

• Like 4

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&sca_esv=560427330&q=reiterdegen+17.+jahrhundert&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjBqcrpiPyAAxXzReUKHRtGAMoQ0pQJegQIDBAB&biw=1138&bih=489&dpr=1.2

Here is a link which might further help, I would say: "Reiterdegen 17. Jahrhundert, eisernes Gefäß, possibly a Nürnberg make.
Jaspar Bongen (Solingen) me fecit, would mean that the blade or weapon was made by this person, see also:

https://de.wikisource.org/wiki/Haenel_Kostbare_Waffen/Tafel_60

image.thumb.jpeg.3e24b5a9d169ce26fa98ad5eff0ec3ab.jpeg

• Like 4