Authentic 2nd Class?

antiChairforce

Hi all!

I uave just been gifted this 2nd class by family whos had it nearly 50 years! I dont really know a great deal but I have a little collection so she gifted it to me to add to the rest of the stuff I have.

Everything I have read makes it look pretty good but you guys are the ones that know the best.. it is Iron, 2 piece, I believe, and the core somewhat rattles around. Ribbon ring appears to be welded 1 piece and has the stamp of '22'. Its pretty hard to read, even under magnifying glasses. 

The entire medal is almost completely void of the black paint stuff, except for in edges and at the bottom of the 1813 mold.

How does it look to you folks who know?

20230430_185212.jpg

20230430_185221.jpg

20230430_185316.jpg

20230430_185235.jpg

20230430_185241.jpg

20230430_185247.jpg

• Like 4

Welcome to the forum antiChairforce. The Iron cross is original, pity the finish has been removed.  22 is the maker mark for  Boerger & Co. Berlin.

• Like 3

Thanks Kenny. Yeah, its quite pitted around the Iron aswell, likely from 50 years kept in a draw or something and not stored right!

Thanks for the insight. Is there a reputable source to get an authentic replacement ribbon for it?

• Like 4

Original ribbon is hard to find on its own and does not come up very often, best to just keep searching the internet and one of the dealers should eventually turn a piece up. The problem is most dealers keep it, as you are more likely to find an Iron cross without ribbon, so they keep any ribbon they find to add to crosses without ribbon.       

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Can still be found, if you search through the internet, but do include the word "original" in your search. There are still quite a few lengths of original unused ribbon cut from the roll on offer.

image.thumb.jpeg.20f5d8527b0bfdab9b16c725e84a55ec.jpeg

image.jpeg.a8787fa8b96188bb73b8a8fafd8d1676.jpeg

• Like 4