Comparing Two Imperial German WWI First Class Iron Cross's

Jarin

Hello all,

This will be my first post to this website so please forgive me if I make any mistakes, I look forward to learning from all of you. 

I am a novice collector of mainly WWII era German/Allied militaria and have been looking to branch out into WWI and have a few pieces I'm interested in but am not knowledgeable enough to confidently make these purchases, so I am hoping some of you may help me in this regard. 

The first two items I have been looking at are WWI Era First Class Iron Cross's, I am trying to decide what deal to go for but since I know next to nothing about authenticating German medals, I'm hoping to get some advice and learn from you all. 

These are unfortunately the only photos I currently have of these items, but if I am able, I will attempt to get more if needed.  

- The first Iron Cross is described as "Original Imperial German WWI Prussian "Vaulted" Non-Magnetic Iron Cross First Class 1914 with Pinback - EKI" The description also mentions there being no makers mark but mentioning that was not uncommon.  the seller also says, "Note the edge seam for authentication, which is not present on reproductions".  This piece is being sold at $375 USD. 

image.png.d83a3be41fe1bc5892a4bf19d16fd983.png

image.png.a49d60fc2d071f17f1907d5a3e17ea68.png

image.png.655e922374694881f18f865b2da80d81.png

image.thumb.png.ee027d8c1fddea83da95683ef21a664a.png

image.png.3f0b8663f3a49c67dac532223ac272eb.png

image.png.bc8df342ae1171a7680753a714a7da17.png

- The Next Iron Cross is from a different seller, described as "German Imperial. A 1914 Iron Cross I Class, With Case". The seller claims the medal comes with its original presentation case, though I am curious to know if there is a way to definitively know if the cross matches said case, such as an ID number or something.  This Cross is also being sold for $375 USD. 

iron6.png

iron3.png
iron2.png
iron4.png
image.png.cfaf0f3874a95f61b66b536532e8232e.png

Thank you all for your time, Jarin

• Like 3

Nice photos!  Unfortunately I can not tell a fake from a real one. I am a gun nut. But great photos for the real collecotrs to ID.  Fritz will be here shortly. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would say no to either. Kenny and Fritz will confirm as they know more of this era than me but I would pass on both.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

They are both originals, the case also. However, both look like silver plated brass with a non-magnetic core, as you state. These are private purchase pieces, not the original award to the recipient, but an extra piece, which was not uncommon. The case is of nice quality. I would tend to look for a real silver example with an iron core and preferrably with a maker's mark. I think also the stated price is a bit much considering, apart from the case, which of course is an expensive and rare item.

• Like 3

This is not correct, there are plenty of reproductions with edge seams.....   

the seller also says, "Note the edge seam for authentication, which is not present on reproductions". 

• Like 3

What is not correct?

• Like 2

seller states reproductions do not have edge seams, but this is not correct,  many reproductions now have side seams, sorry Fritz was not referring to your post.    

• Like 3

I would agree with Fritz, if you are going to spend that kind of money, better to get a maker marked example with an iron core and silver frame  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your input, I've decided to heed your advice and wait for a better-quality piece. I had something come up so sorry for the late response, and again I appreciate all of your of your time. If I find another piece I'm interested in, I'll be sure to post it here. I may post some of my collection for you all later this week Aswell that I'm hoping some of you may find interest in. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all, I found another EK1 that I have been interested in along with an additional Medal that I'm hoping to get your opinions on. 

This grouping includes a WWI first class iron cross followed by a Silver Grade Wound Badge. I am not familiar with Wound Badges so would appreciate any advice you could give me on authenticating such pieces, the Iron Cross is described as being constructed of Iron and Silver, with a blackened magnetic iron core with a ribbed silver frame, along with a maker's mark reading "KO". 

The following is the description of Both medals provided by the seller. 

1.  A 1914 Iron Cross I Class, constructed of iron and silver, consisting of a Cross Pattée with a blackened magnetic iron core within a ribbed silver frame, the obverse with a central initial “W”, the six o’clock arm with a reinstitution date of “1914”, the twelve o’clock arm with a royal crown, the reverse with a wide block hinge and vertical pinback meeting a round wire catch, maker marked “KO” for a widely-documented but unidentified manufacturer, measuring 43.08 mm (w) x 43.07 mm (h), weighing 16.4 grams, in near extremely fine condition.

2. A Silver Grade Wound Badge, constructed of magnetic metal, the obverse consisting of an oval laurel leaf wreath, joined together at the bottom by ribbon, with a central raised Stahlhelm on top of crossed swords on a pebbled field, the reverse with a raised barrel hinge and vertical pinback meeting a round wire catch, unmarked, measuring 37.52 mm (w) x 42.97 mm (h), weighing 6.4 grams, in near extremely fine condition.

These are the only photos provided, I can try to ask for some additional photos if needed. 

The grouping is currently on auction at $104 U.S.D - What do you all suggest these 2 Medals paired to be worth? 

These are the only photos provided, I can try to ask for some additional shots if needed. 

I still plan on posting some of my collection for you all as I said before, just have been very pre-occupied. 

Thanks again for all your time. 

Jarin 

ai1_5204.jpg

ai1_5206.jpg

ai1_5207.jpg

• Like 4

The medals are original, not sure about the black finish on the Iron Cross, looks repainted but always hard to tell from photos alone without seeing the items in hand. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I questioned the seller; he claims there are no signs of it being repainted. 

Would you suggest any techniques on how to tell? I believe the seller is truthful though I would appreciate any tips on how to sniff out these kinds of fraudulent signs myself.  

• Like 3

It's really difficult to tell from photos.  You would really need to wait until you receive it,  should be quite obvious when held in hand whither it's repainted. Make sure the seller gives a money back guarantee.    

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

It looks repainted, otherwise original, the price is reasonable, ok. The wound badge is also nice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1