German Artillery Fuzes

John D. Bartleson Jr.

To All,

I am an author/illustrator of American Civil War Artillery Projectiles and their fuzes/fuses. I also collect images of English projectiles and fuzes from this 1861 to 1865 time period.

I recently obtained two German fuzes that I need proper nomenclature and I.D. for.

I also would like a line drawing or image, in sectioned view, of the smaller fuze. My intent is to render fuzes and projectiles to color plates like the ones shown.

I would also appreciate information on how to join the British Ordnance Collectors organisation.

Best Regards,

John aka Bart

post-399-1238533044_thumb.jpg

post-399-1238533118_thumb.jpg

Hi Bart ,

welcome to the forum :thumbsup: Our Ordnance man is Andy , I'll contact him for you I believe he also runs the British Ordnance Collectors organisation and should be able to provide you more information on this too.

Hi Bart ,

welcome to the forum :thumbsup: Our Ordnance man is Andy , I'll contact him for you I believe he also runs the British Ordnance Collectors organisation and should be able to provide you more information on this too.

Cheers Kenny, how do I get my images to open full size for the members?

Bart

Hi Bart, just click on the image and it will open in full screen, is that your own work? it's very good :thumbsup:

Hi,

I have nothing to do with BOCN!

I was a member there,but was banned over a year ago.

Regards,

Andy

Hi Bart, just click on the image and it will open in full screen, is that your own work? it's very good :thumbsup:

Kenny,

I have clicked on the images and I get a blank page. Are you able to open them?

Yes they are my renderings of a line drawing (left) and a real fuze image (right).

Bart

opps sorry to hear that Andy , I don't know anything about them, can you help Bart with the nomenclature and I.D. of his fuses ? Its something I know very little about :huh:

Hi,

I have nothing to do with BOCN!

I was a member there,but was banned over a year ago.

Regards,

Andy

Hi Andy,

Is it not a good organization to exchange information on? I have some drawings of English fuzes that I need identification on, mostly post Civil War.

Bart

Unfortunately,these are a bit early for me.

I'll have a look through my books and see what I can find.

Regards,

Andy

Hi Bart, yes they open fine with me , nice work :thumbsup:

Hi Bart,

I may have more luck identifying your British fuzes!

Regards,

Andy

Cheers Andy :thumbsup: We also have another member here Greg who is more into bayonets but I think he's knows a bit about fuses too and that is his period so he may be able to help also , he will probably log on tomorrow.

Hi Bart,

I may have more luck identifying your British fuzes!

Regards,

Andy

Cheers Andy,

I have posted them under new topic to separate them from this topic.

Yours aye,

Bart

Super Busy at the moment... but might be able to narrow it down based on what common artillery would be in use during the period... CAAM magazine just did a few spreads on artillery shells for of the period so will have a look.... German period.... probably a Krupp gun... but hey you never know!

Super Busy at the moment... but might be able to narrow it down based on what common artillery would be in use during the period... CAAM magazine just did a few spreads on artillery shells for of the period so will have a look.... German period.... probably a Krupp gun... but hey you never know!

Thank you Greg, any help will be appreciated.

John, My reference book in in storage and I cannot get to it... however, if you or someone can, get your hands on some old Bannerman catalogues. I have the 1927 edition and I know it has several fuses listed in it. The earlier editions would as well and while it won't tell you the proper nomenclature, it certainly will identify the fuses (if these are there).

Abby from Cornell Publications in New York might be of assistance too as she reproduced all the old weapons guides she can get her hands on. Can put you in touch if necessary.