A kind request to identify this family heirloom.

Krystian Paczkowski

Dear All,
Greetings from Gdansk, Poland

A kind request to identify this family heirloom. My great grandfather was an archivist and civil servant in Prussian administration, before Poland regained it's independence in 1918. Due to turbulent Poland's history we have just a few memorabilia left from this period of his life, including Verdienstkreutz fur Kriegshilfe with paper, and Roten Adlersmedal 4th class papers (the medal itself is missing).
We also have this medal? badge? which I failed to identify.

Could anyone shed some light on this item, please?

Best regards,
Krystian

IMG_20230318_155759.jpg

IMG_20230318_155753.jpg

• Like 4

Sorry never came across this one before, hopefully some of the others will know. It's quite possibly just a patriotic pin with the colours of Austria, Germany and Hungary at the bottom.   

• Like 4

I agree, there were many variations of such objects. Could you post a few photos of the papers?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Fritz said:

I agree, there were many variations of such objects. Could you post a few photos of the papers?

Sure, certainly! The first one, Roter Adlersorden 4th class - as far as I know, it was issued (among others) to higher scholars and academics for their merits to "Konig and country". My granddad held position of history professor at Berlin university. The medal itself is sadly missing, thou.
The second, Verdienstkreutz fur Kriegshilfe, we know little or nothing about, probably for some fundraising campaign?
After WWI, when Poland reappeared as a country, granddad became a creator and first director of Polish National Archives, and a chief negotiator in the process of retrieving Polish archives from the Germans.

IMG_20230318_164340.jpg

IMG_20230318_164353.jpg

• Like 4

Verdienstkreuz für Kriegshilfe, generally for non-combattants. Facsimile signature on all documents, Graf von Kanitz, Kgl. Preuß. Ordenskanzler

image.jpeg.d19e6aa081a594c36c908021a44bb4a6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a4a460778ea8fd99a7c98566d6aeee21.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1