It seems British First World War helmet paint colors were - broadly:

1. Apple Green, followed by …
  2. A brownish drab

But I also see on reenactors and movies: 

• a very dark green
  • A lighter version of khaki green 
  • An olive drabish green

Any thoughts on these last three? 

What contemporary paint makers and shades of paint come pretty close to matching? Why: simply because I want to refurbish a few rusty helmets, or ones that clearly have later paint shades applied.  I have zero commercial interest or incentive. But every time I ask this on a Facebook group, and get dozens of “likes” and one or two pieces of feedback. I figured this forum would have sone experts. 

Preemptively: I know shades varied widely.  I know we don’t make paint that way anymore. I know paint darkened with age.  I know the digital pictures look different than the images of the paint on the helmet. Nevertheless, I’m trying to group distinct variants and see if anyone can suggest contemporary colors, the name, and where it can be purchased.

D2238524-039E-45F1-AFC1-3FF4D6879B74.jpeg

• Like 3

I would never paint an original. I would keep the original patina , finish, and historical character.  To me, paint an original and it becomes junk, or at least something only a re enactor may use. I do mess with toy soldiers, but even a repaint of an original is bad news on a barclay or manoil lead soldier. 

model paint is another story

image.png.c58077468b81bb8526d150f240432ae4.png

"Please consider this thought prior to modifying an original WW I  or WW II piece. If the essential original character of a historical item is altered, or more than 50 percent of the finish or original parts have been changed to altered the original surface patina or non original, contemporary replacement parts have been utilized in the restoration, the item is no longer considered an antique. Its value is drastically lowered. It's an amateur muddle job, not a restoration. A large portion of the value of an old piece or historical military antique is determined first by scarcity, then second, its patina and original nature. Patina is the aged surface finish caused by the changes that occur in the aging/handling process. If you alter the original aged finish or do not restore with original, period correct parts, you destroy both the charm and value of the historical object. In some instances the remuddle is so bad, the item is worthless even for its parts value." source: me in my lamp post

• Like 4

Thanks for you reply and thoughts. I’ve never had a helmet close to good enough to be worth preserving any of it. That’s probably why it as sale and I could afford it!  

I also have a few of PFLCO’s new MkIs. 

I agree with you. I probably should have put better context in the post.  Thanks again. 

• Like 3

Got you. There are two real informative posts with many example photos for British and American WW I helmets on this forum. 

• Like 3

I agree always best not to repaint helmets, however if the helmet is in a really bad way then a restoration can be acceptable. Gildwiller and Leon have experience with helmet restoration and should be able to help  

• Like 2

Hello jawm1972, Are you based in the US? I agree that painting helmets does alter their historic significance and value, but as you said, the ones you have are pretty bad off. Now, I assume the helmets you have are of British makes, do you know what types they are? For example do you have the early non-rimmed shells or later ones that are rimmed. The US also used British made helmets overseas and later used their own made helmets with different textures and paint colors. I will be more than happy to assist you on this as I have restored several helmets, for mine they were either already messed with in which someone tried and failed to paint them correctly, or they were rusted and or had no original paint left. Please let me know what route you are wanting to take, you can PM the details to me if you wish. 

• Like 3