Too fantastic not to repost, A German Captured 1915 Mosin Nagant M91

Please see this link for the story and some great photos. Talk about history- I just had to repost this.    https://www.k98kforum.com/threads/german-captured-1915-mosin-nagant.44190/ 

A view of a rather rare find, A German capture M91 1915  dated Mosin with the German capture stamp on the stock. How lucky can a person get?  Here are three photos from the above source:

image.png.aa67dc02eb22f5e66452f09ab480dbe4.png

image.png.74fd81c3b14bae130d87296fe98b54f8.pngimage.thumb.jpeg.7e6b6bfab418a30e7683295212c55912.jpeg

• Like 6

The stamp is the Imperial Russian Eagle.

SVG > Russland Mantel Waffen Russisch - Kostenloses SVG-Bild & Symbol. |  SVG Silh

• Like 3

To clarify because I was unclear and should have provided references: 

The wood cartouche is #27.  It is never clear on the wood stocks.  A German capture mark: source   http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks03.htm 

This stock  has the light imprint of the German Reichsadler (German imperial Eagle)   The central Eagle mark is difficult to see and is a heraldic Roman type standard motif. This is my understanding, It is a German eagle. The cartouche does not show a Russian Eagle. I show a clear image of the motif: Fritz, am I incorrect all these years?  You are the expert on German stuff. Please Clarify and correct my thinking. Thank You.   What Eagle is inside the  WW I wood stamped cartouche on the stock that shows German ownership? 

image.png.a13e89fa1938925aae1130226e0b862c.png

image.png.6d8ff5338b3a1f77faec763d387ff875.png

Yes to clarify, the receiver mark has the Imperial Russian Eagle.  see CREST row 4, first one.  This is a desirable intact Mosin Tula rifle with the Imperial Crest with Russian, German, and Finnish use markings and its condition still remains intact. No miss match, no stock refinish, or metal re blue. Only an U. S. Import mark which is a travesty to such a specimen.  A rare jewel.  

source http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks01.htme

image.png

• Like 4

Here is a well stamped version and another fantastic M91  Mosin specimen.   After seeing this clear stamp, I am not longer sure what the central Eagle  symbol is.   I have never seen such a clear well stamped mark in person. Most capture property marks are applied very light and indistinct.  Photo source is below and worth a view.

see   https://www.gunboards.com/threads/1905-izhevsk-m91-deutsches-reich-stamped-w-original-stock-

What a specimen. 

Deutsches Reich stamped on Original Finish Stock

image.thumb.jpeg.8e27bf4d631cd0676b9df3dcfa24223b.jpeg

• Like 4

The stamping on the wood in the first picture is unclear, the eagle below the script still looks like the Imp. Russian Eagle. On closer inspection the wooden stamp seems to bear the inscription 'Deutsches Reich', so I assume you are right with the capture theory.

• Like 3

From Mercaldo 2011: p. 60  Allied Rifle Contracts in America 1914-1918

image.thumb.jpeg.cfdc649b51d10080269eb15a44320d59.jpeg

In  Ian McCollum's book:  Chassepot to FAMAS  French military Rifles 1866-2026 ( 2019, 2021) on the Captured Lebels pages 223-224  the same WW I property mark has been seen on captured Lebels " ...included a Prussian eagle and the phrase Deutsches Reich on the side of the stock...." see page 223 reference information box German Use of Captured Lebel Rifles. He identifies the bird as a Prussian eagle motif.

• Like 5

Deutsches Reich does not have the Prussian eagle, it would be the Reichsadler (German), there is a marked difference in design of these two emblems.

Wappen Preußens – WikipediaDatei:Wappen Deutsches Reich - Reichsadler 1889.svg – Wikipedia

• Like 3