Wehrpass with Death Certificate

FDiv

I have the chance to purchase a Wehrpass of a 21yr old KIA on the Eastern Front.

With the purchase comes his Death Certificate which in themselves are fairly rare but to have them as matching pair seems quite interesting.

I'm just wondering what the concensus would be for a valve.

I've numerous Wehrpass and Soldbuch but I'm unsure what increase the matching death certificate would bring.

Thanks for any thoughts.

• Like 3

There is nothing special about the Wehrpass.. he enlisted in 1939 at aged 19 and was KIA on the Eastern front at 21 in 1941. 

No awards other than General Assault Badge (posthumous) and was in 39 Panzer Korp.

The interesting thing is the Notice of Death Cert signed by the unit commander but some 2year later.

The small collection comes with newspaper cutting of his Death Card dated 1941 and a translation of his Wehrpass.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on an overall price before I overspend haha.

Screenshot_20230202_142909_Email.jpg

• Like 4

Hello FDiv, welcome to the forum, the Death Certificates do turn up from time to time, last one I had we sold for £95, your Wehrpass is to a good unit so I would guess without seeing it, the pair would be worth around £225-£295 but it really just depends on how much you want it.    

• Like 4

Hi,

Yeah I'd put the Wehrpass at around the £125-£150 mark as it's a nice clean example with good photo and entries.

It was the Certificate that threw me a little but thanks for replying and giving me an idea of overall value. 

I'm in for just below the lower end of your estimate so I think I'll strike whilst the opportunity is there for me.

I'm new to the forum but it's nice to get other people thoughts and expertise on items so we can all help keep history alive without letting others get taken advantage of with fakes or overvalued items.

I like the document side of things (although I do have a couple of bladed items) and I've some very interesting documents. Some recently purchased at auction as a bundle. Incl a Luftwaffe purchase invoice and bill of sale for fuel made out to a French Service Station for quite a cost back then. I've also German POW cards sent from Canada with personalised drawings on. They tell how they're safe and well whilst their friends are "fighting the good war". I just can't get to the bottom of what POW camp are in the photos.

16753520421571480956510113844385.jpg

1675352136066159275313166470277.jpg

16753521566294131083539045613644.jpg

16753522054752829642941678139859.jpg

• Like 3

Not familiar with the POW camp either I'm afraid, look forward to seeing more of your collection :thumbsup: 

• Like 2

On 02/02/2023 at 14:39, FDiv said:

There is nothing special about the Wehrpass.. he enlisted in 1939 at aged 19 and was KIA on the Eastern front at 21 in 1941. 

No awards other than General Assault Badge (posthumous) and was in 39 Panzer Korp.

The interesting thing is the Notice of Death Cert signed by the unit commander but some 2year later.

The small collection comes with newspaper cutting of his Death Card dated 1941 and a translation of his Wehrpass.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on an overall price before I overspend haha.

Screenshot_20230202_142909_Email.jpg

It not uncommon at all for a death certificate to be issued at a much later date than the date entered in the Wehrpass. It could be just a catch up but more often than not a death certificate was not issued unless one was requested for administrative reasons, they weren’t necessarily issued as a matter of course. The most common reason for requesting a death certificate was remarriage or inheritance.

• Like 4

Also, I would agree with Kenny’s pricing but if you got it for the higher end of the estimate I still think you’ve had a result if the other info is with it.

• Like 4