WW1 Era Dutch M95 Rifle

Gildwiller1918

Here is a Steyr-Mannlicher model 1895 made for the Dutch, who named it the Geweer M. 95, it is commonly known today as the Dutch M95. This was the main service rifle from 1895 to 1940, and was produced under license by Steyr until the Dutch facilities were up and running in 1904, after wards the rifles have the marking "Hembrug" instead of "Steyr".  Although the Dutch did not fight in WW1, they certainly prepared for it by modernizing their forces with new rifles and carbines, and it was not until WW2 that these rifles saw action. Like other M95 type rifles, this one utilized the En Bloc clip in which the empty clip would fall out of the bottom of the magazine well once used up. The rifle used the rimmed 6.5x53.5 cartridge, similar to the Romanian models. There were several models of the long rifle produced and numerous models of carbines. 

This particular rifle was produced in 1915 at Hembrug and has the accompanying bayonet. After the Germans occupied the country, a lot of these rifles were used in rear areas and on the Atlantic wall. I do have to add the rifle has a really smooth action, its well made and robust. 

IMG_6553.JPG

IMG_6554.JPG

IMG_6555.JPG

IMG_6557.JPG

IMG_6558.JPG

IMG_6559.JPG

IMG_6560.JPG

IMG_6561.JPG

IMG_6562.JPG

• Like 5

Fantastic rifle.  Great photos.  I love that long rifle.   They are always more difficult to find.  A look at some M95s in carbine form: Forgotten Weapons video (A Few of) The Many Faces of the Dutch M95 Carbine

• Like 5

Thanks USMC, I have my eye on the Carbine, 3rd down in your post. I have a bid on it, hopefully I win that one. A collector would stay quite busy trying to get all the variants of the M95

• Like 4