U40 found!!!!!!!

RAF635SQ

• 1 year later...

I can't believe I missed these two stories.

I visited the Fuhrer Bunker site in August (and the SS/Wehrmacht/Goering buildings etc) and it's hard to believe where it was with the flats that are on it.

You're not allowed to dig/map/do reports on what's underneath it and there was a woman taking pictures from a flat of everyone who arrived to view it - they don't like the visitors and make complaints to the local council(?) about it becoming a tourist/sshrine. Weird, weird place and you can virtually smell the history. Not much left of it though.

post-68-1292955136_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I can't believe I missed these two stories.

I visited the Fuhrer Bunker site in August (and the SS/Wehrmacht/Goering buildings etc) and it's hard to believe where it was with the flats that are on it.

You're not allowed to dig/map/do reports on what's underneath it and there was a woman taking pictures from a flat of everyone who arrived to view it - they don't like the visitors and make complaints to the local council(?) about it becoming a tourist/sshrine. Weird, weird place and you can virtually smell the history. Not much left of it though.

Planning going in the summer. Did you do the flak tower tour as it looks a good one to do.

• Like 1

I saw the Flak towers.Enormous things,very impressive.There was no tour then.I need get my pics of Berlin up when i was there the first time in Sept 90.It was when the East German border guards had just left and everything was still intact.Quite amazing.You were able to walk across the wall into no mans land and over the ditches and car traps and climb up the towers which still had searchlights intact.It was a strange feeling knowing that only months before you would have been shot if you stood in that wide open ground completely exposed.

Although the wall had come down the previous November the guards officials etc had only been dismissed weeks before we visited so everything was intact.Looking back i saw the end of a major period of history.

I remember standing for thirty minutes in Potsdamm watching these very smart looking Mongolian Soviet military Police directing convoys of Soviet troops and their tank transporters and vehicles leaving Germany and heading eastward going home.Amazing memories.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I saw the Flak towers.Enormous things,very impressive.There was no tour then.I need get my pics of Berlin up when i was there the first time in Sept 90.It was when the East German border guards had just left and everything was still intact.Quite amazing.You were able to walk across the wall into no mans land and over the ditches and car traps and climb up the towers which still had searchlights intact.It was a strange feeling knowing that only months before you would have been shot if you stood in that wide open ground completely exposed.

Although the wall had come down the previous November the guards officials etc had only been dismissed weeks before we visited so everything was intact.Looking back i saw the end of a major period of history.

I remember standing for thirty minutes in Potsdamm watching these very smart looking Mongolian Soviet military Police directing convoys of Soviet troops and their tank transporters and vehicles leaving Germany and heading eastward going home.Amazing memories.

Post the pics when you get the time, and can anyone recommend a hotel ?

• Like 1