A very strange one.

oldrag71

This is a tricorn/tricorne hat that I aquired.  No idea if it's military or not.  The three buttons on the hat date it (or date the buttons) to sometime between 1876 and 1918.  Here is the information on the buttons:  

Button markings:

RS           19           Superieur  - France                                                                      1875-1900

LS           20M       H J – Paris                                                                                       1876-1890

BK                         Maurice Bourbon Paris (anchor/bomb)                                  1918

It is clear that the 1918 button had to be a replacement button as the other two date to 1890 and 1900.  I beleive that all three buttons were either replacements at one time or added to the hat as none of the three buttons match.    The sweat band is missing.

I realize this isn't the NORMAL military stuff that passes by, but I am looking to everyones expertise!

Thank you!

thumbnail_IMG_0867.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0868.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0865.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0862.jpg

• Like 4

Buttons like that would not be worn on a tricorne hat. The hat may be original or a theatre requisite, but not as originally worn. Hard to say what it is. These were fashion, civil and military, till around 1790, thereafter, a bicorne hat or Tschako.

• Like 3