Ross Rifle bayonet

Gildwiller1918

Just picked this up, a very nice condition Mk 1 Ross Bayonet. 20,000 of these were purchased for stateside training in the US before troops headed overseas. Rifles and Bayonets that were used by US forces had the shell and flame and "U.S" acceptance marks. Although the Ross rifle was not well designed for trench warfare and had a poor performance record, it did fairly well in training environments and was used as a sniper rifle.

IMG_6446.JPG

IMG_6447.JPG

IMG_6448.JPG

IMG_6449.JPG

IMG_6450.JPG

IMG_6452.JPG

• Like 5

• 6 months later...

An interesting post, all correct and good photographs, thank you.

I have acquired a MKII bayonet, for Canadian or British use, no US acceptance mark.  The differences are no step to the muzzle ring, no rivet on the RHS of the pommel next to the catch and the blade much more pointed.  The scabbard is the same.  Good to see so much data on both the bayonet and the scabbard.  My scabbard has 1916  and MKII stamped on the leather on the back near the point and a crown with figure 4 below on the steel end piece.

The rifle had a poor reputation because of its vulnerability to dirt and inferior British made cartridges of less fine tolerances.  Both rifle and bayonet were exceptionally well made and the leather of the scabbard is of lovely quality.  Its use as a sniper rifle speaks for its accuracy.  

I have started using Pecard leather dressing.  According to what I have read it is more of a museum conservator's product than the neats foot oil I have used in the past.  Besides being more acceptable from the long term conservation aspect it does not darken leather as much as neats foot oil.  I shall continue to use pure neats foot oil (no mineral oil content) on really hard dry leather which in time with liberal applications it softens a good bit.  Much patience is required but it is the best remedy I have come across for old dry Sam Browne belts, to eventually, many months later, be followed with Kiwi dark tan polish.  Until the oil has really soaked in the leather does not shine when polished.  

Regards,

Spike

• Like 3

Hello Spike, yes Pecard is an excellent leather dressing, I have used it for many years. I have used Neats foot as well, and as you say it does darken the leather. I do like my Ross Rifle; the action is very smooth, and it was a well-made weapon. Thank you for your kind words on the bayonet.

• Like 2