Martini Henry MK II

Gildwiller1918

Here is my newly acquired Martini Henry MK II rifle. These rifles were introduced in 1877 and became the most produced variant of the various models. The Martini Henry was a single shot breech loading rifle that utilized a lever action. It used a .577/450 black powder rimmed cartridge, weighed 9 pounds loaded, and was 49 inches long (minus the bayonet). The rifle was replaced in 1889 but was still produced until 1894 for colonial contracts, and some were even used during WW1, mainly for reserve training, however early in the war they were even used to attack enemy balloons using newly developed incendiary rounds. This particular rifle was made in 1878 by Enfield, and cost £2 12s 10d per rifle. This rifle also has the 1876 pattern bayonet which was 25 inches long and a reproduction sling. 

IMG_6415.JPG

IMG_6416.JPG

IMG_6418.JPG

IMG_6419.JPG

IMG_6420.JPG

IMG_6421.JPG

IMG_6422.JPG

IMG_6424.JPG

IMG_6426.JPG

IMG_6413.JPG

IMG_6412.JPG

IMG_6428.JPG

• Like 3

This is the rifle used in the action at Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift, 1879, and as seen in the film "ZULU" in the mid 1960s with Stanley Baker and Michael Caine, which I am sure you know. That was quite a film.

• Like 4

Correct Fritz, that is one of the reasons I wanted one of these rifles. It has been on my wish list for some time.

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

I recently found a nice period brass muzzle cover for the MH rifle. 

IMG_6858.JPG

IMG_6859.JPG

IMG_6860.JPG

• Like 5

Bayonets are easy finds, but a sweet rifle -- a  real treasure.  My bayonet  markings. image.thumb.jpeg.e857da39132f705380cba118957c4c11.jpeg

• Like 5

Nice Bayonet USMC, thanks for your compliments on the rifle, its been on my wish list for a long time.

• Like 3