Saxon beer stein 1890-93 5 L. What is it?

72 usmc

Note see Fritz's corrections👍 I had no idea of what I have. Many thanks for the knowledge. 

Since most on this forum are into German goodies. About 5 years back I found this at my neighbors house from an old family member that came from Germany. He was a Korean war vet and this was his grandfathers.  Actually most of the WW II kids spoke German in the schools since the town was settled by Germans coming to Wi just prior to the US Civil War. They did not start English in the schools till after WW II at small town grade schools. The other neighbor was a WW II pilot on a B17 that went down on Christmas Day. 1944. He was captured and the German guards thought he was SS  because he spoke German so good.  I am showing this regimental beer stein to see if any collectors can identify it.  This is a simple glass hand blown in the mold mug with air bubbles and bits of impurities in the glass.  It is five liters. This is old glass, not a reproduction. The position of the lid's thumblift is slightly above and to the rear of the gun silver lid.  The attachment arm on the glass handle is pewter, likewise the hinge, but the lid appears to be a gun silver.  The side of the mug has the face of Albert of Prussia.  One mold seam goes up the back center of the handle from the bottom of the mug. However, the front and upper 1 inch of the lip has been fire polished to remove the front and upper rear mold seam.  This is a paneled mug. It measures 6 1/4 inches high (16 cm) OD of the  mouth diameter is approximately  3 1/2 inches( 8.5 cm).  There are 10 panels each approximately 3 cm wide.  The silver lid is inscribed and has a  pickelhauben spiked helmet attached with brass round nuts.  The base shows extensive wear from sliding on a table or bar. Another indication of old glass.  Anyone knows what is says on the inscription?  5th Army Infantry carbine reg.  and date??? Thank You for any help.  The name is Otto Martin.

IMG_4324.jpg

IMG_4323.jpg

IMG_4321.jpg

IMG_4339.jpg

IMG_4344.jpg

IMG_4346.jpg

IMG_4317.jpg

IMG_4344.jpg

IMG_4333.jpg

IMG_4335.jpg

IMG_4326.jpg

IMG_4322.jpg

• Like 4

Not Prussian, but from Saxony. With helmet and inscription of Royal Saxon Carabinier-Regiment in Borna.
There is also an image of King Albert of Saxony, 1873-1904. 5. Escadron is 5th squadron.

Model 1894 Kgl.Sächs. Karabiner-Regiment (2.Schweres Regiment) MetalhelmModel 1894 Kgl.Sächs. Karabiner-Regiment (2.Schweres Regiment) Metalhelm

Sächsische Armee - Wikiwand07276-Borna-1906-Ablösung der Wache des Königlich Sächsischen Karabiner- Regiments-Brück & Sohn Kunstverlag - PICRYL Public Domain Image

11,515 Borna Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty Images

Borna

• Like 4

Fritz, Thank you. You certainly know your field.  I was wrong on just about everything🥴 I found this post card on line. I guess this is a nice mug. Mighty fancy uniform.  This soldier must have treasured this mug as a heirloom in order to carry it all the way from Germany when he immigrated to the US and into WI farm territory.  Now the task is to find an original post card.... And to think that mug was destined to be sold for $5 at a estate sale, like it was common junk... Someone in that town of Borna most likely would give his arm to get this mug. I am not sure how collectable these are.  But I had to save it. image.thumb.png.ba967f4e0cfde157f86ca357f380e1ad.png

• Like 4

• 72 usmc changed the title to Saxon beer stein 1890-93 5 L. What is it?

Uniform grouping to an NCO from the Sachsen Karabiner Regiment stationed in  Borna. | Military uniform, Athletic jacket, Army corps

Helm M 1875 für Trompeter des Karabinier-Regiments, Trageweise ab 1897 —  Katalog A80m - Tag 2: Internationale Orden und militärhistorische  Sammlungsstücke | Foto in hoher Qualität herunterladen | Design, Poster,  Los 4994 zu einem günstigen Preis kaufen

Red plume for regimental musicians

AK GROSSENHAIN RATHAUS 1918 (40) EUR 4,99 - PicClick DE

Regimentskarte des Königlich Sächsischen Karabinier-Regime… | Flickr

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Königlich_Sächsisches_Karabiner-Regiment_(2._Schweres_Regiment)

A short history of the regiment

• Like 4