Telescope.. Is it genuine?

Lee

Hey guys and girls.. Is the a genuine Telescope from ww2? Also.. Worth of it? Kind regards Lee 

Screenshot_20220702-163049_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20220702-163056_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20220702-163103_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20220702-163108_eBay.jpg

• Like 3

Another fantasy item, most likely from Eastern Europe. 

• Like 4

What gives it away Kenny?.. Its selling as a WWII German Railway Brass Telescope for.. At the moment 60 pound 

• Like 2

I'm afraid  it's just rubbish Lee, it's probably an original telescope but with the Reichbahn badge added to make it more interesting, the telescope cap has a fake NSDAP badge on it, similar to a party badge which would have nothing to do with railways, it's stamped Germany in English which would mean it's for export purposes so unlikely to be used in Germany. Also why would you need a telescope on a train :D    

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I can't image the Deutsche Reichsbahn needing a telescope, apart from train spotting, but I'm sure they had their own methods. Why is the NSDAP Abzeichen on the bottom of the telescope? And why "made in Germany"? Or China? And it's not even brass, judging by the finish. If nothing else, the purchaser can use it to observe the moon. I have heard the Chinese are planning a landing there (Bild Zeitung).

https://www.focus.de/politik/technologiediebstahl-und-zerstoerung-von-satelliten-nasa-chef-warnt-vor-weltraumprogramm-china-will-den-mond-besetzen_id_108610369.html

(Focus report, Bild has too many "Ad Blockers")

Erst der 7. Flug mit Menschen - Chinas kleine Schritte im All |  deutschlandfunk.de

Raumfahrt: Chinesische Astronauten erreichen neue Raumstation - Forschung &  Lehre

Chang'e-5 ist gelandet! China holt sich ein Stück vom Mond | Galileo

China startet Mondmission: Für Wissenschaft und Propaganda - taz.de

• Like 3

Also, Zeiss- Opton was the name used on Zeiss’s lenses in the immediate post war period.

Therefore this presents as a Third Reich telescope relating to the Reichbahn with a DAP logo marked with a post war manufacturers mark - as the guys say, a definite fantasy piece.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Kenny is dead right.

As I said before, I don’t believe there are any genuine period telescopes with Third Reich emblems that are marked Zeiss- Opton. 

Zeiss Opton wasn’t used until 1946/7 onwards.

From Zeiss’ own website:

“The reconstruction of the production sites in Jena began in the Summer of 1947. On 4 October 1946, the Zeiss Group in Heidenheim – supported by Jena – founded Opton Optische Werke Oberkochen GmbH, which from January 1947 operated under the name of Zeiss-Opton Optische Werke Oberkochen GmbH with the approval of the Jena-based management”

• Like 3

Probably issued to short-sighted railwaymen.

• Haha 3

I agree with the other comments, not genuine, and why would they even be needed for railway use when there were plenty of binoculars around. 

• Like 4