SS Unterscharfurhrer Social Welfare file with variations in the fountain pen nib size

Eddieq

Here is an interesting document that I have received - it is an SS social welfare file for an Uscha Josef Kormann of the SS Viking Division, he was killed in October 1942 and this is his entire welfare file. It includes a copy of the notice to his wife regarding his passing. 

The letter tells her that he was wounded in ‘a hail of bullets’ on 11th October and despite getting the best medical attention he only regained consciousness briefly before succumbing to his wounds on 18th October 1942 and that he is buried in a small cemetery with some of his closest comrades. The letter also tells her how to contact the pension and welfare office.

If anyone is interested I can post more of the file.

it is a sobering insight into the realities of war and the consequences of combat.

E

71EA35BD-65E9-4EC5-8DDA-C06D916D9C36.jpeg

17E38D4D-A833-4C85-8607-A009BCD3CBE9.jpeg

E5260E4C-25E0-49A8-9E25-61EB46B82AAE.jpeg

E96E6146-E21D-4356-B12C-C0608AF6388A.jpeg

• Like 3

Very interesting documents Eddie, yes please post some more pictures.  One question which I hope Fritz might be able to answer, regarding the ink used  on the front cover. Years ago I had an award document which was written in similar ink, at the time I thought it was written in black marker pen and sold it off cheap, so the question is, did the German use this style of ink?  Was there a type of fountain pen which could produce this type of thicker writing?   

• Like 2

Apparently a pen with a wide nib, suitable for caliography. Seen occasionally on decorative documents.

GCQUILL Kalligraphie Stifte Tinte Set Vintage und Handgemachte Holz  Schreibfeder Federhalter mit einen Flasche Tinte Antike Dip Pen in  Geschenkbox Perfekt für Anfänger : Amazon.de: Bürobedarf & Schreibwaren

5 Bambus Reed Qalam/Stifte mit Tinte schwarz 10 ml zum Kalligraphie  Schreiben : Amazon.de: Bürobedarf & Schreibwaren

Thick and thin, still used.

• Like 2

Thanks Fritz, only the second time I have seen this, from memory the award documents I had were also SS so someone got a bargain 

• Like 2

Hi Kenny

yes I’ll post some more pictures shortly.

With regards to the calligraphy type writing (that does look like ‘sharpie’ writing!!), i’ve come across it a number of times on ss administrative filing where there is a need to distinguish free typed titling from subject details - often with the faint pencil lines to ensure that the lower case print is even in comparison to the upper case. I’ve not seen it very frequently on citations.

I attach photos of a couple of other examples from the Ss Standarte ‘Deuschland’ and SS Div ‘Prinz Eugen’

72740910-C5B0-4390-895F-D98E0F248042.jpeg

C7F9F1A7-CF60-4CA9-935F-54597B61E4B2.jpeg

• Like 3

Excellent documents Eddie, and good to see the variations in the nib size. That citation had been bothering me for years, from memory I think it was an Iron cross citation and promotion document to the SS Wiking. Must have been over 20 years ago but I still remember them to this day, I remember thinking someone has just filled in these documents with a marker pen, I think I sold them for £30 !!!    

• Like 3

• Kenny Andrew changed the title to SS Unterscharfurhrer Social Welfare file with variations in the fountain pen nib size
  • Kenny Andrew pinned and featured this topic