stamp KO means what on iron cross first class WW1 , 1914

henryb

Hi, I Am new here and tried to join yesterday but seemed to be a problem. Will try again another time.  I inherited WW1 medals from my grandfather Kurt Draber many years ago and recently took an interest. Facinating stuff. The iron cross first class has a stamp on the back near the pin clasp KO.  I wish to know what this means. I have seen Konigliches Munzamt Orden, Berlin and also Klein and Quenzer,Oberstein  as possibilities.  Seems to me the iron section might have been cast in a foundry and then shipped to another company to apply the silver work. I have not been able to establish that there was a medal mint on Berlin in 1914

Also I would like to know 1) what year was the black painted on versus the black produced by another process.  2) the iron sections were cast iron and then later stamped out....I think. If so when din the stamping method begin?

I speak German , so if need be I can respond to that also.  Kurt fought on the eastern front early with the 11th Army.  I have the Honor cross, 1st class, second class, wound badge, 11 army brass badge and lapel pin.  I know the patina is desirable and so I took photos before and after cleaning it all off to expose the original splendor of the iron crosses as they looked when awarded......they will never be for sale.....stay in family.  I can send photos of all if you wish as I know 100% these are all original .   I hope this message finds you!!  Thanks, Henry

• Like 4

https://www.ehrenzeichen-orden.de/deutsche-staaten/eisernes-kreuz-1-klasse-1914.html

Eisernes Kreuz 1.Klasse 1914 an Nadel (KO)
Kreuz 1. Klasse an Anstecknadel und Hersteller KO, Klein & Quenzer Oberstein, ist ein Verleihungsexemplar. Diese sind grundsätzlich flach und an Nadel. Der Hersteller KO ist einer der häufigsten Hersteller der 1.Klasse und 2.Klasse. Verwendet wurden unterschiedliche Kerntypen. Auf Grund der Häufigkeit sind die Kreuze im unteren Preissegment anzusiedeln.

Folgende Buchstabenkürzel können bestimmten Herstellern der 2.Klasse zugeordnet werden:
– CD – Carl Dillenius, auch mit Silberstempel- / – Fr, FR, Fr im Rahmen – Gebrüder Friedländer, Berlin/– G – J. Godet & Sohn, Berlin oder Glaser & Sohn, Dresden/ – K.M.S.T., K.M.St., KMST, K.M., KM, auch mit Silberstempel – Königliche Münze Stuttgart/ – KO – Klein & Quenzer, Oberstein auch mit Silberstempel/– S-W, S&W – Sy & Wagner, Berlin auch mit Silberstempel/– we, We – J.H. Werner/– WS, W.S., W&S, WuS, JW, J.W., J.W.S. – alle Joh.Wagner & Sohn, Berlin/– D – Wilhelm Deumer, Lüdenscheid (möglich auch Deschler, München) /– K, K im Rahmen- W. Kluge & Co./ – N – C.E. Neuhaus & Söhne, Berlin/– R – E.Rosenthal & Sohn/ – S – Heinrich Schneider, Leipzig, auch Schaper oder Scharfenberg möglich/– WILM – H.J. Wilm, Berlin auch mit Silberstempel/– Z –H. Zehn, Berlin/– E:W, E.W – Emil Wiechmann/– LW – Luis Werner/– R.Sch. – Richard Schulze, Friedrichshagen/– LV (mit und ohne Zahl)-Lieferungsverband für Eiserne Kreuze/– H – F. Hoffstätter, Bonn/– M – B.H. Mayer, Pforzheim/– MM – Meyle & Mayer, Pforzheim /Hersteller im 3.Reich kennzeichneten mit der LDO-Nummer z.B. L/10,…,L/52 u.ä.

Folgende Buchstabenkürzel können keinem bestimmten Hersteller zugewiesen werden, sind aber belegt:
– A –(wird auch dem Hersteller F.A. Assmann zugeordnet aber nicht belegt) keine 1.Klasse/ – B – (möglicherweise Hersteller Bury & Leonhard, Hanau)/– HB –keine 1.Klasse/– H.B.G.- keine 2.Klasse, möglich dass HB und H.B.G. ein Hersteller ist/– HTB – keine 2.Klasse (langer Querstrich des T)/– K.A.G. – 1.und 2.Klasse/– KP –keine 1.Klasse/– +(M)+auch mit Silberstempel,keine 1.Klasse/– MEH –auch mit Silberstempel,keine 1.Klasse/– V –keine 1. Klasse/– Wappen mit 3 Kreisen –Silberstempel, keine 2.Klasse/– Y –Silberstempel/– Quadrat –keine 2.Klasse (könnte auch eine Abnahmepunze sein)

Read first, then ask questions

• Like 4

Thank you very much Fritz for taking the time to reply!  I had no idea my post went through and got confused and sent another post out today with  2 Photos. I can take some much better ones.....close ups if you or anyone wants to see them. I know they are real as they were given to me by Kurt's wife, my grand mother, many many years ago. Just recently I finally got around to cleaning them and mounting them and writing a history also, to pass on to one of my children. I feel so good that I finally did this and also was so grateful to find this forum for so much good information!!!  Thank You so much.  Ich kann deutsch sprechen und lesen, aber es geht langsam. Bin in Deutschland zur schule gegangen 1959-1964 

• Like 4

Halten Sie Ihr Deutsch auf dem Laufenden!

• Like 3