British Brodie Helmet with wings on it?

Cozmo

I have a brodie helmet that has a RAF roundel with the RAF wings underneath, both quite faded. Does anyone know what this means/ is official? Or would this of just been done by the soldier?

• Like 4

could you post a photo please Cozmo? 

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Sorry I got signed out of my account for some reason and never got notified that anyone replied, I will attach the image below.

IMG_20220808_1907413342.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome Cozmo, never come across this before on a brodie helmet, I've seen helmets with the letters RAF on the front but never roundels.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Very interesting.. Wonder how it got there, appears to be original but you never know!

There is also some hand written text on the bottom, I can attach an image if anyone would like to see.

Edited by Cozmo
  • Like 4

Says     something along the lines of "?? G. L Pack 277 Gen 1st Army 1942" There is other text that I can't quite read due to fading but it contains two words and the first one looks like it could be "Iran"

IMG_20220914_180255105.jpg

• Like 3

Could be something to do with the Anglo-Soviet invasion of Iran. The Anglo-Soviet invasion of Persia was the joint invasion of the neutral Imperial State of Iran by the United Kingdom and the Soviet Union in August 1941. The invasion, code name Operation Countenance, was largely unopposed by the numerically and technologically outmatched Iranian forces. The multi-pronged coordinated invasion took place along Iran's borders with modern Iraq, Azerbaijan and Turkmenistan, with fighting beginning on 25 August and ending on 31 August when the Iranian government formally agreed to surrender, having already agreed to a ceasefire on 30 August. The invasion took place two months after the Axis invasion of the Soviet Union and the Soviet Union's subsequent alliance with the United Kingdom. The attack also took place less than two months after Allied victories over pro-Axis forces in neighboring Iraq and French Syria and Lebanon. The invasion's strategic purpose was to ensure the safety of Allied supply lines to the USSR , secure Iranian oil fields, limit German influence in Iran (Reza Shah was considered friendly to Nazi Germany) and pre-empt a possible Axis advance from Turkey through Iran toward the Baku oil fields or British India. Following the invasion, on 16 September 1941 Reza Shah abdicated and was forced into exile by the invading British. He was replaced by his young son Mohammad Reza Pahlavi.

• Like 2

I definitely think it could be, it matches up quite well with that conflict.  It is quite an interesting piece and I hope to be able to find out more about it in the future, I wonder if the soldier was involved in some sort of RAF ground operations, but I guess we will never know quite for sure.

• Like 3