Prussian Waffenrock

Don L

Knowledge members, request assistance in identifying what Regiment this Tunic belongs to. I have had this tunic for 30+ years and have never been able to identify it. I did not photograph the Shoulder boards as there are incorrect to the Tunic. Cuffs are Brandenburg(Red) with no Trim, (3)buttons are Gilt with double Litzen on the Collar. Rear Skirt has 3 buttons per side with internal pockets on each side. This is a Bandsman Tunic as it has the loops  on each shoulder. Interior marks are 90, III(?) two sets of faint 25 and a maker stamp that looks like:

Baries-St------
-----------
----------
Verden(possibly)

Let me know if further photographs are required.

Thank You

Don L

Collar and Cuff.jpg

20220330_142031.jpg

20220330_142104.jpg

20220330_142018.jpg

20220330_142044.jpg

• Like 3

An original tunic and quite old, looks like some alterations made a long time ago. Has Brandenburgische Aufschläge, Gardelitzen on collar and cuffs (for a guards regiment). Not sure what the '90' stamp denotes (probably size), certainly not Füsilier-Regt. 90, as they wore white metal buttons, the eagle buttons (25mm) on the collar denote a corporal or Gefreiter.
Please post a photo of the shoulder straps so that we can determine what it is.
The larger buttons on front and cuffs are the older pattern, pre-1895. The other stamp could be a later costumier or Theaterfundus stamp. Verden (Aller) is in Provinz Hannover.

• Like 2

Fritz, the shoulder straps are for Regiment 82 which is totally incorrect for this tunic. I'll post, but they were added on at some time in the past. From what you said be very Old, could this be a model 1867 Tunic? Is there anyway to determine the specific regiment. I have what appears to be a Officer Tunic with similar Cuff litzen which I will also post. I didn't want there to be any confusion between the two different tunics. 

shoulder Board.jpg

• Like 3

The shoulder straps may be original to the tunic, perhaps the Litzen has been added, or the collar has been changed. To judge which model tunic, I would need to see a full size photo of the tunic, front and rear, it is definitely an older model, before 1895/1900. The shoulder button is not correct, this is a 1915 button, mounted upside down. Should either be a plain button, slightly smaller, or with a company number, easily rectified.
An internet photo of tunic, I.R.82 (XI. Armee-Korps), the Brandenburg cuff should have a white piped edge, possibly removed on your example, otherwise IV. Armee-Korps. Tunic in photo is around 1895-1914, the helmet is type 1880, spike M.1867, chinstrap modification M.1891. Rifle is the M.1871/84.
(Internet photo)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3e/G%C3%B6ttingen-Uniform.82.Regiment.JPG

• Like 3

Very Nice display. Lighting in my Office/Trophy Room is poor, but I did take a few more photographs. You can see a repair to the arm pit area. Rear pleat is solid, but does have the internal pockets on both sides. I see no evidence that either of the cuffs have been altered, a small repair to one, but no discernable alterations.  Have been looking at the Moritz Ruhl plates trying to match 3 button cuffs/no Trim/Red to Collar. The Garde Litzen looks period applied and not altered. Have never seen squared of litzen on the cuffs. Let me know what details of the uniform you need.

Thanks Don L

31.jpg

36.jpg

41.jpg

• Like 4

That is the typical 1866 type, with the closed vent at the rear, repairs are commonly found on older uniforms of this type.
The Litzen may have been added at a later stage, do not belong on a collar with rounded edges, collars with Litzen had square corners. I would not make any alterations to the tunic at this stage.

Below are photos of 2. Garde-Regiment zu Fuss, this tunic dated 1873, the collar with Gardelitzen has squared corners, buttons are larger, piping is thicker. Cuffs are of the Swedish pattern, rather than the Brandenburgs. Formerly in my collection.

100_4373.JPG

100_4374.JPG

2. Garde-Regiment zu Fuß

grafik.thumb.png.0930ae718437415f8ac2b33a0a54f8a3.png

Kaiser-Franz-Garde-Grenadier-Regiment Nr.2, older type with 1866 closed vent. Note the form of Litzen.

• Like 3

Thanks so much. Learn something new everyday. Yes collars are rounded see enclosed pic. Does the squared of litzen on the cuffs have any significance?

35.jpg

20220330_141918.jpg

• Like 3

The line regiments had rounded collars without Litzen, all collars with Litzen were square.
The Litzen were shaped and should not be square, on your example they look rather improvised, see previous photos.

• Like 2

Do you think it is original Litzen, perhaps placed on the Tunic for a Costume House/Movie Company? Last question. I inverted the Tunic and found a "25" with a Z on the lining. There are also two faint 25 stamps on inside lining. Do these have any significance?

44.jpg

• Like 3

The Litzen look old, but the ends have been uncorrectly shaped/mounted (compare photos). Very likely altered/added by a costume company. Lning most certainly original, but with later costumier stamp.
Unfortunately I do not know the significance of the markings stated, they have been hand applied, possibly stock numbers.

• Like 2