Help needed please - Iron Cross

Lizzy

Hello,

The Iron Cross shown in the photos was amongst my father’s possessions.  I remember seeing it at the family home during the 1950’s.  I know nothing about it or where it came from other than it belonged to my Dad.  Box is battered but it is the original.  Can anyone tell me please if it is authentic?  Is it worth anything?  I have tried and it does pass the magnet test.

Thank you in advance

IMG_20220208_151731.jpg

IMG_20220208_151815.jpg

IMG_20220208_151836.jpg

IMG_20220208_152240.jpg

IMG_20220209_154934.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Lizzy, that one looks OK, I have replied to your earlier email regarding valuation.   

• Like 3

If that is the original case to the decoration, it is worth as much as the decoration itself, so take care of it!

• Like 3

Hi Lizzy this is the first class cross, which is pin backed, the second class has a loop and ribbon  

• Like 3

The pinback version is the first class. The second class is worn on a black and white ribbon and has a reverse side, with the date 1813 at the bottom (first created in 1813), above that, oakleaves and FW under the crown. FW stands for Friedrich Wilhelm III., in whose reign the iron cross was instituted on his idea. The second class was awarded for some feat of bravery or for having been several days in the front line under heavy fire. The first class could only be awarded when the recipient is already in posession of the 2nd class.

• Like 4