Mauser Model 1871

Gildwiller1918

Here is my new Mauser M1871 or Gewehr 71/Infanterie-Gewehr 71. It is in very good condition, with all matching parts, minus one on a barrel band. This rifle was developed by Paul Mauser and was provisionally adopted in December of 1871, however improvements were needed and it was officially adopted in February of 1872. The rifle was made from 1871 to 1890 and around 3 million were produced including several variants such as carbines. This rifle was the first to incorporate the now famous flag type safety on the bolt. This rifle fired 11 x 60 mm black powder cartridge's. In the early 1880's the rifle was updated with a tubular magazine of Kropatschek design and designated the Gewehr 1871/84. The M71/84 saw service in the Boxer Rebellion, and the M71 Jager carbines were used by the Schutztruppe in Africa during WW1. Although replaced by the Gewehr 88, and later the Mauser 1898, this rifle saw a long service life with the German forces as well as Chinese, Irish, Korean, South African, Ethiopia, Serbia, Turkey and Japan to name a few. It has also been noted some of these rifles were issued to some Volkssturm units in late WW2. This rifle also comes with an original cleaning rod, but sadly no sling. 

pix992517766.jpg

pix300945313.jpg

pix812781072.jpg

pix546809281.jpg

pix605794509.jpg

pix487029303.jpg

pix297640329.jpg

• Like 3

Below are some images of the M1871 in action. During WW1 it was initially used in bayonet practice for new soldiers, however it also was used by prison guards, reserve units, and other rear echelon forces, but as losses mounted, these invariably made their war to the front as did many other obsolete weapons. 

Gew.71 (137).jpg

03.05.14 x (43).jpg

03.05.14 x (48).jpg

• Like 3

Very nice. Often seen in WW1 photos, also occasionally late WW2. Amberg was of course of Bavarian production, these issued only to Bavarian regiments. Dated 1877, is there a regimental marking on this example? On the barrel band is an number, but unclear.

• Like 3

The barrel band says 11498, I don't see any other markings. I think it is just a mismatched part, that is the only one that does not match the rest of the rifle. 

• Like 3

Rifles up till 1914 were usually regimentaly marked.

• Like 3

I will go over it later with a magnifying glass and check. If I find anything I will let you know.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well I went over the rifle, did not see any unit markings, these typically were on the buttstock plate. The buttstock plate on this rifle is a replacement, serial numbers do not match, oddly enough both of the butt plate screws do match the rifle. The rifle is all  matching minus the butt plate and front barrel band, however I have no unit history for this particular rifle. With the bayonet attached it is quite heavy. 

• Like 3

Well I went and found a nice Bavarian marked butt plate to go with this rifle. It is marked B. 4. R. 5. which stood for Bayr. 4. Infant.-Regiment. “König Wilhelm v.Württemberg” (Metz), 5. Komp. This new plate actually matches the rest of the rifle as far as patina look goes, the previous one had been polished.

IMG_6053.JPG

IMG_6056.JPG

• Like 3

• 10 months later...

Here is the rifle with the bayonet added. It adds quite a bit of weight to the firing end. 

IMG_6565.JPG

IMG_6566.JPG

IMG_6567.JPG

IMG_6568.JPG

IMG_6569.JPG

• Like 4