Brodie Helmet uneven Brim width

DangDingus27

Hey everyone- quick question. I recently purchased a new Brodie featuring the 77th division Liberty insignia (Lost Battalion).

Everything I can tell on the helmet except 1 thing is perfect.

that one thing being the Brim of the helmet. On this helmet, and another from my collection, I have noticed that the brim is uneven. When looking at it face on, you can tell that the brim is shorter outwards on the helmets right side (viewing left), while it’s left side (our right) is longer. And when measuring, it’s about a 3/4ths of a centimetre. Was this common? Or is this even normal? Other than the length of the brim difference, the helmet appears to be perfect.

anyone have any idea?

thanks!

15F513EE-CD0F-4ED3-8AC4-C2978BC3F816.png

6E756BB8-384B-4B36-B2C4-CAC88BF0A01D.jpeg

E97A151C-B76B-4B3E-B54B-17EA66E0D217.jpeg

56D6E89D-5E69-43ED-A49C-F336ED898104.jpeg

EB135120-895D-4B28-BAE8-C648E3EC2643.jpeg

39474A88-4013-44C2-9D57-DF74228C041E.jpeg

• Like 3

It could be that the helmet blank was inserted incorrectly in the folding machine that produced the bowl shape, you do get the

odd difference now and again. The helmet looks good to me and in good condition too.

• Like 3

I agree with Leon, probably a manufacturing issue. They were making these helmets as fast as possible to equip the expanding US military. Quality control mainly consisted of checking the quality of the steel shell. Rejected helmets typically have a red stripe down the exterior center, and sometimes large have holes punched along the rim as well. So with no red stripe or holes, the helmet passed inspection. It looks completely original to me, the divisional insignia was most likely added during the occupational period or when the solider returned home. Very few helmets were painted before the war ended. Another thing to consider would to be use leather preservation such as Pecard to help keep the leather from drying out and cracking. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Gildwiller1918 said:

I agree with Leon, probably a manufacturing issue. They were making these helmets as fast as possible to equip the expanding US military. Quality control mainly consisted of checking the quality of the steel shell. Rejected helmets typically have a red stripe down the exterior center, and sometimes large have holes punched along the rim as well. So with no red stripe or holes, the helmet passed inspection. It looks completely original to me, the divisional insignia was most likely added during the occupational period or when the solider returned home. Very few helmets were painted before the war ended. Another thing to consider would to be use leather preservation such as Pecard to help keep the leather from drying out and cracking. 

Little too late to use leather preserver! The leather is flaking so much you’d think you just ran your hand through a pile of dirt! 

but other than that the helmet looks fine to you? Other than the stamping issue, everything else looks great. And it is evidently an original, seeing as it’s non magnetic. Thanks!

• Like 4

Yes, the helmet looks fine, sorry I could not see the liner with the Styrofoam head inside. Just so you know, moths will be attracted to the wool pad. 

• Like 3