• The Big Red One
    • Enemy at the Gates
    • The Dirty Dozen
    • Kelly's Heroes
    • Lawrence of Arabia
    • Night of the Generals
    • Stalingrad

Have you seen the new version of "The eagle has landed" Kirk!!! ? :D

It's good all the bits that were edited out from the original film are back in including the rousing bit where he plays the church organ , a few extra scenes too which were not in the original movie, including a brief appearance from the Fuhrer :hitler:

:o

Must look out for that one! How do you know which DVD is the new one? Is there any thing on the case to identify it?

• Like 1

This one is a more recent release however it does not have the original version on it, the original version is good because it has the documentry style beginning instead of the Canaris Hitler beginning which while interesting is not as atmospheric, this one has more extras on it but I would still go for the first one.

eagle2.jpg

:thumbsup:

Thanks Kenny, I'll look out for the first one.

• Like 1

you could always pick up both I think they are only about 3 or 4 quid each , all my fav films seem to be around this price ,I wonder what that says about my movie taste. :D but really you would only be picking up the newer version to get some more extras ,I think things like a film about the original village where they shot the movie and things like that.I haven't seen the newer version so the extras could be quite interesting but as I say you don't get the original theatrical release on that one.

:PB)^_^

Kenny, if you scroll up you will see my original post on this thread was commenting on the cheap prices of war film DVDs at the moment! Seems to have taken a life from there!

:violent-smiley-090:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

What are the top 10 war movies ever and what are the worst stinkers?

here is mine.

1. Saving Private Ryan

2. The Great Escape.

3. Where Eagles Dare

4. Downfall

5. Tora Tora Tora

6. Battle of the Bulge

7. Battle of Britain

6. The Wild Geese, great cast and love Ronald Fraser's part!

7. Das Boat

8. Sophie Scholl, great film with lots of tension and super court scene at the end, frightening stuff!

9. Force 10 from Navarone

10. Taegukgi super Korea war movie!

Platoon and Hamburger Hill are also quite good.

stinkers

Pearl harbour, Tora Tora Tora was better.

green berets

Enemy at the gates, could have been better, i hate the cast.

a bridge to far, another one that could have been great, all over the place and too many well known actors, Robert Redford and Elliot Gould, crap actors!

The longest Day, the Longest bore!

Full metal Jacket, liked it at the time, not enough action and hate the plastic palm trees at London docks, like someting from a Oasis video.

theres a few more, will get back to the stinkers later!

• Like 1

Hi LP, we already have a similar thread so I have moved your post here, your thread name is more suitable so I have changed this one to Top 10 War movies and worst? :thumbsup:

Generally think no such thing as a bad war film though some better than others. Noteable exception would be Combat Zone allegedly a cult vietnam war film. Never seen such a dire film. Must have had a budget of no more than £50 and obviously set in a European wood. Crap story line too wasted 8 quid on it a couple of years ago and still bitter I did.

• Like 1

I got Private Shulze on DVD on Saturday, anybody remember that ? I used to watch it at school , can't believe that was almost 30 years ago! still worth watching and strange because every second member of the cast was in Eastenders long before Eastenders existed,see how many you can spot if you get it.

Total nostalgia for me :o

as kenney said earlier the Battle of Britain should be in here! i mean nearly all the aircraft where genuine! ^_^ the only fake land vehicle was the German tank in the beginning! :lol:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
I got Private Shulze on DVD on Saturday, anybody remember that ? I used to watch it at school , can't believe that was almost 30 years ago! still worth watching and strange because every second member of the cast was in Eastenders long before Eastenders existed,see how many you can spot if you get it.

Total nostalgia for me :o

I remember that. Printing fake uk pounds. That was a cracking series.

I started watching Secret Army on one of the History Channels a wee while back. That was great as well.

They don't make them like they used to.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

keep an eye out for a czech film called tank brigade, the acting isn't very good but the german equipment used is fantastic, supposedly used equipment left by the germans at end of the war.

As long as your forget your watching a propaganda film its great for spotting.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Kenny Andrew pinned this topic