• Where Eagles Dare
    • The Big Red One
    • Enemy at the Gates
    • The Dirty Dozen
    • Kelly's Heroes
    • Lawrence of Arabia
    • Night of the Generals
    • Stalingrad

Escape to Athena was a very strange film, when I was in Rhodes in the 90's I was being driven along a road in a taxi coming from the other side of the island, when I saw all the white lattice  featured in parts of the film. I asked the taxi driver to stop and went to look around and it was the exact place the movie was filmed. It looked the exact same as in the film, although I recently saw pictures of the same place and it was very dilapidated looking. It was a totally unexpected find and I could easily have driven right past it. I walked along the same path as Rodger Moore and David Niven, thinking back to how it must have been when they filmed it in 1979. The Guns Navarone was also filmed on Rhodes. I also saw a WW2 Kubelwagen parked outside a pub! and a German Bunker which still had a rifle rack in it, I spent a few days trying to work out if it was possible to get the rifle rack back on the plane, but decided against it. Rhodes is a lovely place and still has the Italian fascist architecture, Mussolini even had his holiday home there which I also visited.   I took photos must try to find them again and post them here.   

The white lattice covered path where Rodger Moore, David Niven and Sonny Bono walked along.             

Escape-to-Athena-1979-featured.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Just got around to watching Greyhound, it was pretty good depiction of the Atlantic Ocean Battle. Although I understand that most U-boat Commanders were aggressive, in the movie it seemed to me they were very aggressive, to the point of recklessness. Just my opinion, but still an entertaining movie.

• Like 4