• The Big Red One
    • Enemy at the Gates
    • The Dirty Dozen
    • Kelly's Heroes
    • Lawrence of Arabia
    • Night of the Generals
    • Stalingrad

:o;):P

As a result of the recession I have found lots of bargains on war film DVDs in the last month.

Many are in the £3 to £5 range. Boxed sets like Band of Brothers are half price.

I have been able to upgrade my library but am still looking for a decent DVD of "Cross of Iron".

• Like 1

Reece, if you have not seen Cross of Iron you need to get it, total classic Sam Pekinpah film about the eastern Front.

Total Nostalgia for me because it was around when I started collecting.It's over 30 years old now but still worth watching , one of the best war films ever made even although it never seems to get mentioned in the so called list of 100 best war films.

I made three of my girl friends watch it , they said after it it was rubbish ,but apparently they went home hired it out and watched it again twice :D

get it you will like it :thumbsup:

:bigun2:

Made in 1977, starred James Coburn. The only war film Peckinpah ever made. Very,very realistic!

Of course the hopelessness of the Germans on the Eastern front was a comparison to the Americans in Vietnam.

Even Russian women soldiers naked in the bath! Babes without uniform!

Only bad bits were the WW2 shots of US Corsair aircraft meant to be Russian "Sturmovicks".

Did use actual T-34 tanks though.

Wish someone would do a digital upgrade but great as it is.

:2gunsfiring_v1:

Lt. Stranski, I'll show you where the Iron Crosses grow!!!!!!!!!!

(In the Treasure Bunker of course. Silly Stanski, he could have just bought one of Kenny. And then gone to the pub and lap dancing club. Saved him a lot of trouble!!!!!!!!! IMHO)

• Like 1

:thumbsup:

Forgot to say opening squence is on the forum U Tube film themes thread. Also quite a lot of the film is on U tube.

• Like 1

sounds good to me, i will go on play.com and get in later.

not got anthing for the collection in a while, pelims and i need a job hopefully soon i will get a few things.

yea but anyway cross of iron sounds good

• Like 1

Sorry Lads....Cross of Iron was good, no dout.I however think the 1981 war film Das boot was

the best ever made.Wolfgang Petersen sure did a great job on that film.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Das_Boot

don

OK.......http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_of_Iron

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_of_Iron

• Like 1

I remember going to the Cinema to see Das Boot, those two films certainly were the two films of the era and maybe of all time although Downfall has maybe over shadowed them now, still not seen Valkeri but I have heard it is good.

Eastern Front or U boats ? for me Cross of Iron has the edge :bigun2: Demarcation! Steiner's coming in!!!!

OK I'm sure I will have forgotten probably some of the best films but here's a few from memory ,which is your favourite War Film?

I'm only allowed to add 20 so sorry if I missed your favourite ,If you want to add any more films, list them here and we can have another poll later on,

now which one will I vote for :huh::unsure::huh: wish we could have more than one choice, anybody know how to set it up for more than one choice?

:o:D:lol:

It's amazing that Cross of Iron was so good being made by a group of people who had not been involved in war films. Or maybe that's why - no preconceptions.

This could be a hotly debated thread!

:2gunsfiring_v1:

• Like 1

Kenny, could we not vote more than once if we want to nominate more than one film?

Mind you why not just leave it to one choice?

• Like 1

Yes it would be better if we could vote for say 3 favourite films but I'm just not sure if it can be set up like that.

another two which should be on the list are Battle of Britain and The Wild Geese.

Are there not 2 versions of Cross of Iron. A cut and an uncut version. The uncut version has the blowjob scene while the cut version doesn't???????

G

• Like 1

Thats correct Graeme.Depending what time they would show it they also edited it quite heavily.I saw it with at least 20 mins missing

• Like 1

I think there were three in das boot....One in english, the one in german and a 4 hour directors cut.

This was the best relistic war film ever made. :D My opinion ;)

don :rolleyes:

• Like 1

This is the one I saw before the film,

In 1988, Das Boot aired in six episodes each 50 minutes long. These episodes had additional cutback scenes summarising past episodes. This version was first broadcast on BBC in October 1984 in German with English subtitles.

• Like 1

It was 5 40 minute episodes i saw a few years ago if i remember correctly Graeme.Then the directors full version and a cinema version which was released first on video then dvd.The directors full version followed on dvd a few years ago.I also saw it back around 88 but cant remember episode lengths! As usual it would come down to the time constraints of the broadcaster,they have freedom to edit as they wish.

• Like 1

There is still nothing to beat Zulu though. Proper British stiff upper lip stuff.

You're all going to die

• Like 1

I couldn't decide between Cross of Iron or Zulu and went with Cross of Iron , it was a very tough call.

Its amazing when you think of when we started out there was so little around in the 80's there was Cross of Iron, Das Boot and the world at war ,that was really it.I remember a really good documentry on TV and I recorded it onto one of those old tape recorders ,I used to play it all the time ,this was before video recorders , there were no pictures only sound but I thought it was great.

I also remember when I must have been 3 or 4 watching a black and white film about Hitler dying in Berlin ,I think it must have had a lasting effect on me, so I blame it on my mother she should have turned the channel over to Pinky and Perky :D

Voted for 'Downfall'.

I absolutely love that movie.It's not perfect and it's not entirely accurate but i love the sense of impending doom that is created.

I should also give an honourable mention to 'The Eagle has Landed'.Michael Caine is superb as Oberst Kurt Steiner leading his men to try and kidnap Churchill.The perfect,almost idealised,German officer.

• Like 1