Danelaw

I would appreciate comments regarding the serial numbers on this MG34. The main number is 2649, but those by the buttstock ring look like they may have been reworked to match (the buttstock is non-matching, as is the top cover). I haven't seen too many MG34s so I'm not sure if this is the case, or if they're just unclear.

Screenshot_20211127-112656_1.jpg

Screenshot_20211127-112608_1.jpg

• Like 4

They have indeed been overstamped with the new number, probably put together in parts, this done by the armourer presumably. Or a post-war capture, eg. Yugoslavia, re-worked? Could you post a few more photos of the full size weapon?

• Like 3

Thank you for the reply. The MG is not mine, but one I was considering buying. I was told it had all matching numbers, apart from the top cover and buttstock ring. I've attached a few more photos, but I think I will probably pass on this one.

Screenshot_20211127-112622_1.jpg

Screenshot_20211127-112555_1.jpg

Screenshot_20211127-112646_1.jpg

Screenshot_20211127-112706_1.jpg

• Like 4

It is still a nice looking MG34. It would be very difficult today to find an all matching weapon. During the war, parts were swapped out due to wear or damage, and post war many were sold off as surplus to other nations who then further modified and replaced parts as needed, and you have collectors that replace parts to make the weapon more desirable and collectable as well. I would personally focus on a period correct piece versus an all matching one. Are you going for a functional or display type?

• Like 3