Kilts & Trews

Graeme

Just thought I would recommend this cracking new book about the history of Post War Scottish Military Uniforms by a lovely chap called David Whitecross.

Kilts and Trews - Scottish Military Uniforms from 1947 to 2006

It's available from MLRS Books Ltd.

I also happened to have provided a number of my own photo's for the book. B) B) B) B)

• Like 1

:D:o;)

Sounds good G. Is this the guy that wrote the couple of articles in Military Modelling a while back or was that Halford-MacLeod? He was of the opinion that trews were worn long before the kilt.

I wonder if Kenny can stock the book as it would sell well in Scotland?

• Like 1

Recently found an amazing site for a bloke that makes bespoke sgian dubhs. In the process of having one made with sheath of 4000 year old bog oak found at Culloden, cool damascus blade and pictish deer sybols engraved onto the silverwork.

• Like 1

:D

Not really into Skean Dubhs but that sounds a very good one!

• Like 1

Don't really want to rain on anyone's parade but I get sick of this romantic nonsense related to all things Culloden.

• Like 1

A 4,000 year old bog oak is a mite before the time of "Bonnie " Prince Charlie!

As the site of the last battle on British soil I do consider Culloden is a special place. All battlefields are for that matter.

The units that I single out at Culloden were the Regiment Ecosse and the Irish companies who held off the Goverment cavalry and counterattack to let BPC make good his escape. OOPs just a slip from the romantic version.

Many goverment officers like Wolfe gained invaluable experience in the Jacobite campaign that they put to good use in the British Army abroad.

• Like 1

Used to live near Culloden as a lad. Have a lovely musket ball with a significant flat edge where it struck something or someone at the time from the site which is pride of my collection. Romantic ???? I can almost hear the skirl of the pipes and the swish of heather (not)! Aye many are chosen but few are Pict!

• Like 1