HJ belt buckle - original or fake? Matthias Salcher & Söhne, Wagstadt

Jut

Hi, 

Can anyone help with the HJ belt buckle in regards to whether it’s a very good fake or an original? The last photo is a close up of the makers mark. Any advice/help greatly appreciated as always. Cheers 

E27516D0-9B8D-4FE0-B273-F8E8371B92AF.jpeg

C2E9E06E-ED3A-4A21-A8F5-1E328BA52238.jpeg

26819D04-292F-4EFF-8596-3B78EB28A671.jpeg

• Like 4

Looks like a nickel plated iron or perhaps nickel-silver example of HJ buckle, dated 1940.  You can check this using a magnet. Manufacturer not known to me. The curved back is not normally on these types of buckle, more on the army buckles, looks a bit suspicious. Perhaps someone else on the forum can help.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've not seen that maker before either, the buckle itself looks a bit odd to me  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys. What I’ve read on another forum site was the maker mark is for Matthias Salcher & Söhne, Wagstadt. The one concern for me with this one is that the makers mark isn’t quite as refined as the example shown on another forum site. The buckle shown was not HJ but a Heer buckle - see below:

5D548FD6-A5E6-4A0F-8814-B7AD0DE5C669.jpeg

• Like 4

That's a new maker for me, but I'm still not keen on the buckle

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Kenny Andrew changed the title to HJ belt buckle - original or fake? Matthias Salcher & Söhne, Wagstadt
  • Kenny Andrew pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

Hi

As a rule of thumb, from 1933 all HJ nickel and nickel plated buckles are RZM marked, earlier buckles have makers marks and certainly from 1935 onwards makers were stopped from adding makers marks on official buckles. There is quite an in depth passage on HJ buckles in Peter Nash’s book on German belt buckles.

Ive done a little bit of digging whilst looking at some HJ buckles I have and there isn’t a recorded example of this maker producing HJ buckles of this (or any) type -that I can find reference to.

From an aesthetic point of view the talons don’t look like right and as I have said earlier the markings don’t reflect what was usual for the day - not always a reason for rejection alone but a good place to start from

• Like 4