Pickelhaube identification

Romany

Dear members

I would be most grateful for any thoughts on pattern/date for this pickelhaube. I have purchaed Bowman's reference on this subject which is very useful, but I feel none the wiser. It has the standard helmet plate, with two ventilation holes to the spike which made me think it was an earlier helmet, but the fact it has a leather chinstrap, 1895 pattern(?) liner and no metal reinforcement around the brim makes me wonder if it is an 1887 pattern (although given that the leather is not reinforced at the brim either, I wonder if the original metal peakmount is now missing?)

Many thanks in anticipation for any comments offered. As you can probably tell, I am somewhat of a novice - but eager to learn.

DSCF0649.JPG

DSCF0650.JPG

DSCF0646.JPG

DSCF0647.JPG

DSCF0648.JPG

• Like 4

First of all, the chinscales and brass rosettes do not belong to this helmet, they are from a fireman's helmet. The rounded peak trim is missing.
The helmet itself is of the older pattern 1860 type, maybe newer as you mention. It would be for service personnel, and having white metal fittings, would be most
likely for an assistant paymaster / Zahlmeister-Stellvertreter. Otherwise, a nice helmet which could be improved by adding the correct
chinscales and rosettes, and of course, the peak-trim, which might prove hard to find. Some care to the leather parts would also be advisable,
a neutral leather balsam would be recommended for both helmet body and lining, concentrating on the inside. The exterior can be polished with a good quality black shoe polish. Below is an illustration to show the parts required,
there are also chinscales with the rosette fittings as below.

grafik.png.a84cd7da648ddf477e0433bc9ab20ea0.png

(Photo: Stadtmuseum Erfurt)

Die Geschichte der Pickelhaube

Other type of rosettes and chinscales as seen on officer helmets, here Saxony.

Some further illustrations as a guide

Helmlinksrechts.jpg

Frontplate1_small.jpg

frontplate2_small.jpg

gardhelm.jpg

Raupenhelm und Pickelhaube

Pickel4.jpg

Pickel5.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fritz said:

First of all, the chinscales and brass rosettes do not belong to this helmet, they are from a fireman's helmet. The rounded peak trim is missing.
The helmet itself is of the older pattern 1860 type, maybe newer as you mention. It would be for service personnel, and having white metal fittings, would be most
likely for an assistant paymaster / Zahlmeister-Stellvertreter. Otherwise, a nice helmet which could be improved by adding the correct
chinscales and rosettes, and of course, the peak-trim, which might prove hard to find. Some care to the leather parts would also be advisable,
a neutral leather balsam would be recommended for both helmet body and lining, concentrating on the inside. The exterior can be polished with a good quality black shoe polish. Below is an illustration to show the parts required,
there are also chinscales with the rosette fittings as below.

grafik.png.a84cd7da648ddf477e0433bc9ab20ea0.png

(Photo: Stadtmuseum Erfurt)

Die Geschichte der Pickelhaube

Other type of rosettes and chinscales as seen on officer helmets, here Saxony.

Some further illustrations as a guide

Helmlinksrechts.jpg

Frontplate1_small.jpg

frontplate2_small.jpg

gardhelm.jpg

Raupenhelm und Pickelhaube

Pickel4.jpg

Pickel5.jpg

Thank you very much for all of your kind assistance. I have studied the further information and advice on care with much interest. Would an assistant paymaster have been an officer? Many thanks for also confirming my thoughts about the trim - what a shame it's missing!

• Like 4

There were both officer and nco equivalent ranks. The trim can be replaced, it might take some time to find a suitable replacement plus the two side studs for attachment, but worthwhile.

• Like 4