Is this a genuine WWII helmet

noyes44

Hi all. I bought the helmet shown in the below photos on e-bay recently for £56. The seller sold it as a genuine German WWII helmet. He said he bought it in Normandy about 10 years ago. Now I'm new to all this but it does look and smell genuine. I believe it's an M1940 helmet as the edges appear rolled under. The only thing that's worrying me is that there are no makers letters stamped in to the helmet anywhere, which I believe there should be on all WWII German helmets. I hope my first stahlhelm hasn't turned out to be a fake! Your thoughts please gents?

post-236-1234611710_thumb.jpg

post-236-1234611768_thumb.jpg

post-236-1234611828_thumb.jpg

post-236-1234611919_thumb.jpg

post-236-1234611975_thumb.jpg

post-236-1234612072_thumb.jpg

Hi Robin,

it's an odd helmet, it has an embossed air vent which makes it a M35/40 helmet, these helmets should be rough finished not smooth like the M35, the colour is odd too , initially I though maybe KM but this would be a darker apple green not the light colour which reminds me more of a Norwegian helmet instead of the standard rough slate grey finish.Strange one indeed.

Always a good idea to spend a little more and try to get a complete helmet with liner and chinstrap incomplete ones are pretty hard to sell when you no longer want it, you are a brave man to buy a German helmet from ebay most on there are messed about with.

Helmets are NOT my area of interest, but remember a few years ago the market was flooded with Romanian or Bulgarian (cannot remember which) helmets made on the same equipment and all just after the war for those armies.

Cheers for recommending those sites Greg. I sent the pictures to Rich Palmer at M35 Helmet. He said that the helmet is a genuine German M40 helmet that would have been camo originally. Due to its condition the markings have been pitted out.

Robin

That's good news Robin, I did originally think it could be camo but could not decide whither it was two tone or simply the paint had discoloured due to the rust damage.When you look at the pictures without enlarging them you do see a kind of camo pattern so he could be right , if it is camo then that's quite a good piece you got there :thumbsup: