What WW2 German Gas Mask Filters Would Be Safe To Use?

Crab

Hi Crab, welcome to the forum, I don't think any WW2 gasmasks would be safe to wear unless you got the asbestos in the filters cleaned out professionally.    

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Kenny Andrew said:

Hi Crab, welcome to the forum, I don't think any WW2 gasmasks would be safe to wear unless you got the asbestos in the filters cleaned out professionally.    

How much might it cost to get one professionally cleaned?

• Like 2

I'm not sure Crab, never had it done before, best bet would be to google asbestos removal companies and ask them, let us know what they say.  The British and the Germans used white asbestos the Australians used blue asbestos and the French and the Czech Republic used a type of Fibre board. The Russians used white asbestos. The Russians used asbestos all the way until around the 1970's.The British civilian and British civilian duty gas mask both have asbestos at the bottom and later had a green arsines filter attached which also had Asbestos in it, later countries would use Silver to filter out arsines. The USA also used Asbestos. 

• Like 2

Why not use a repro filter? These are usually hollow and allow for easier breathing.  Asbestos is not something you want to mess around with. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Why not get a complete repro gasmask, originals should not be worn, as they are historic collector's items.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Gildwiller1918 said:

Why not use a repro filter? These are usually hollow and allow for easier breathing.  Asbestos is not something you want to mess around with. 

Much appreciated. Any idea where i might find them? Like any websites you know of that sell repro filters?

• Like 2

I've never seen any repro filters for sale, plenty of repro cannisters but not aware of anyone doing the actual masks.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Kenny Andrew said:

I've never seen any repro filters for sale, plenty of repro cannisters but not aware of anyone doing the actual masks.  

Then i will likely just get an original and have it cleaned, thanks for all the tips 

• Like 2

There is no need to wear a gasmask - in WW2 gasmasks were never worn, always carried, but never worn.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Fritz said:

There is no need to wear a gasmask - in WW2 gasmasks were never worn, always carried, but never worn.

I know, I just absolutely love the look of gas masks. I am planning on getting a stahlhelm and I figured, what better to go along with it than a gas mask?

• Like 2